Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New M1a

Default New M1a

I just traded for an S.A. M1a. It cost me a nice Garand, an '03 Rem. and some cash. I haven't fired one since '65 boot camp and look forward to shooting it. I have heard the the older S.A.'s are more desirable. (sellers statement). My serial # is 050856. Is that considered an older gun? Mine has a walnut stock with a FG handguard. Are walnut handguards available? Any other info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Devil Dog; 09-12-2014 at 01:22.

Wenig use to make hand guards with the stock set they cut for the M1A, but you would have to call them to see if you can get just a hand guard.

Dean-DGR

Dupage has new made walnut M14 HG for $29.99

If I traced it right yours was made somewhere around September of 89. Should have several GI parts on it. Bolt most likely TRW
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

My issue M14 while in the Army had a ventilated FG handguard. So, replaced the wooden one with FG.

Sounds like you got a very nice rifle. I agree late '89 from Lee Emerson's collected info. I can't remember when they made the change from a 5 line heel marking (including the 7.62mm designation) to the current 4 line but you are in that area. I personally like the original GI look of a DOD marked walnut stock and nice fiberglass handguard but any combination you want is available.

SAI has a toll-free number you can call and give them your SN. They'll tell you when your rifle left the factory and in what model configuration per catalog in effect at that time. Happy shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY View Post
    If I traced it right yours was made somewhere around September of 89. Should have several GI parts on it. Bolt most likely TRW
    My bolt is marked:
    66118-DD
    Does that indicate who made it?
    Last edited by Devil Dog; 09-13-2014 at 06:57.

Quote Originally Posted by gulliver62 View Post
    Sounds like you got a very nice rifle. I agree late '89 from Lee Emerson's collected info. I can't remember when they made the change from a 5 line heel marking (including the 7.62mm designation) to the current 4 line but you are in that area. I personally like the original GI look of a DOD marked walnut stock and nice fiberglass handguard but any combination you want is available.
    My heel is marked with five (5) lines. The stock is not GI but a very nice commercial stock with no markings.

10. Default

I believe you have a Winchester bolt. All USGI parts were made, gauged and hardened to the same spec - or they were rejected! Some people favor one brand or another, or seek all one maker parts - but if it's a good condition USGI part, it's hard to improve on that!

Your serial number falls into what some think of as a "Golden Age" - lots of GI parts, very high quality recievers. Enjoy your new M1A!
    CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor