Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1907 sling ?

Bicarbonate of soda and water was recommended to me years ago. I've found it to work very well.

2. Default

Thank you for all your input! Learn something new everyday, verdigris!

3. Default

One of the best products I've found is Renaissance Wax. It was developed in the museum community for conservation purposes. It's original use was for the preservation of wooden antiques and I've found it to work well on rifle stocks. It also works well on metal, leather and just about anything else. I collect medieval edged weapons and that was my initial use for it, but I've found it to be excellent on stocks as well as leather slings. Use it to treat your sling and verdigris won't be a problem.

Verdigris can form on any copper alloy. I've cleaned it off of some web gear lately. Acetic acids will clean it off but will also promote new formation. The baking soda idea works good. After I cleaned the web gear, a drop of Kroil or other good oil on the metal will hold off futher verdigris for some time. I like the wax idea. It should work great on the sling frogs but I can't see getting it under the edge of snaps without making a mess. Have to try that one out and see.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dollar Bill View Post
    Verdigris can form on any copper alloy. I've cleaned it off of some web gear lately. Acetic acids will clean it off but will also promote new formation. The baking soda idea works good. After I cleaned the web gear, a drop of Kroil or other good oil on the metal will hold off futher verdigris for some time. I like the wax idea. It should work great on the sling frogs but I can't see getting it under the edge of snaps without making a mess. Have to try that one out and see.
    One thing to remember about Renaissance Wax is a little goes a long way. If you're using enough to goop up snaps and such, you're using too much.

6. Default

Since it forms on leather where the copper alloy and leather are in contact, how do you apply the Renaissance Wax to all these areas? One of the hardest places to clean is the loop on the short end of the Model 1907 sling, as it sometimes just fills this area up, and will even push the leather up through the stitching.

7. Default

I think you might try dabbing some in there with a Q-tip.

8. Default

There seems to be a misunderstanding of where the verdigris forms on items like holsters and slings. The verdigris forms where the leather and brass/copper are in direct contact. As the verdigris forms it is pushed out by the new growth. There is no way to dab anything where the growth is actually taking place. You can take a toothpick and clean that which has been pushed out, but no way to get where it grows. You can see the verdigris in the hole where the rivet was pushed out.

Another photo of a sling that has had one of the rivets pushed out by the growth of the verdigris.

9. Default

A good point Johnny and one I assumed was self evident enough not to need mentioning. No, you're never going to stop verdigris where it lives, so to speak.