1. Default Enfield #1 MK III 5 Round Rifle Magazine Urgently Needed

Greetings,

I know ProMag used to make them, and they should again as there seems to be a keen market for a 5 round hunting clip for this rifle, and they can't be found for love or money anywhere. Where they appear, they are grossly overpriced or bid up to the stratosphere. I have no metal working abilities or I'd try to cut a 10 round magazine down and put a new bottom on it. I would pay someone skilled at this to do it for me with a 10 round clip if they can show me examples of their work and references.

The fact is, the rifle is technically illegal where I am located with a 10 round magazine, even if there are no rounds in it! [talk about gun law insanity]

I have searched all the usual places via Google etc. and come up empty handed.

Thanks.

2. Default

Where are you?

Lee-Enfields don't use clips other than charger clips.
    ProMag doesn't make a 5 round Lee-Enfield mag any more. They aren't known for working properly anyway. And the market isn't keen.
    If you know somebody who can/will, go here. http://www.303british.com/id34.html
    If you're in Canada, Lee-Enfields are exempt by name from our daft mag law. This doesn't allow 10 rounders for hunting is some Provinces though. Does mean your rifle is not illegal to own or possess. Very much doubt that is so anywhere. Hunting Regs are a different thing.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Sunray is correct about the problems with 5 round SMLE magazines. My old sporterized SMLE sporter which my son now owns has a five round magazine that I bought many years ago. It was purpose built but actually had to have gunsmithing to work properly. They are out there but people who have them mostly aren't interested in selling them. By the way, my rifle was straight from factory thorough repair when I got it and I do regret converting it, though its an attractive rifle and I've taken some deer with it.
    Last edited by Art; 09-08-2014 at 03:19.

5. Default

I would try drilling a hole through the magazine body and insert a cross pin to limit the travel of the follower so that only five rounds may be loaded.

Sante Fe marked 5 round mags sometimes show up. I used to have a modified magazine shortened to five rounds but let it go. There was a fellow who used to do that as a service to board members on the defunct Gun and Knife site. Did a very nice job of it too, holding the proper angles for fit, function and asthetics.. Unfortunately he passed on many years ago.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

What is grossly over priced?

Last edited by MJ1; 10-17-2014 at 07:57.
    "Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn