Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I went to PI in June 1962. We were issued brand new M-14's out of the crate.

A guy at our Gun Club once claimed they were the first PI Platoon issued them in August of 1961. I figure that's correct because some local guys went in as a group in July 1961 and they used M-1's. We had a Mini Reunion a few years ago and one guy had their Parris Island Book for the rest to sign. There were pictures of them using M-1's.

Ahhhh ... the M-14. "Finest battle implement ever devised by man." MY Quote.
    --------------------------------
    Certified Internet Warrior Status: Achieved.

Default MCRD San Diego

My brother went through boot camp in the fall of 1972, he says he was one of the last classes to qualify on the M-14. Does anyone know when the USMC stopped using the M-14 in boot camp?

I went through boot camp Feb-Apr 1971 and we carried and qualified with the M14. I have a buddy I served with in Desert Storm who went through boot camp sometime in 1973 and they were still carrying and qualifying with the M14

Edited to add. We were both Hollywood Marines
    Last edited by the_1st_sgt; 09-03-2014 at 10:32.

Really strange. 1965 and 66, M14 in boot camp, back to the M1 in ITR and then off to Viet Nam where they end up with the the M16. Well not in 1965 but sometime in mid 1966 I believe.
    In 1972 and 1973 still using and qualifying with the M14 in boot camp. I am pretty sure that when they got to there permanent duty station they were issued M16's, never to see an M14 again. In 72 and 73, if ITR still existed, what rifle was used, M14 or M16 ???

when I went to ITR we were issued the most beat up M16's you could imagine. I shipped out to the 3rd Mar Div in Aug 71 where I was issued a M16. Upon rotating home I was sent to Camp Lejeune (Force Troops) and was again issued a M14. Those 14's looked nearly new or at least fresh from rebuild. In Dec 72 they were taken away from us and we were issued brand new, out of the box m16A1's.
    Last edited by the_1st_sgt; 09-04-2014 at 11:00.

This is just reminiscing. I was just a kid. Armed Forces Day(whenever that was) had me out at the local Army Base(Ft. Wainwright)taking in the festivities. I plopped down and fired blanks out of the M60. I stood up and fired blanks out of the m14. At the end of the day I snuck up to the 55 gal. barrel and scrounged enough spent ammo to build up a 4' long belt to take home.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Our navy Beachmaster unit was issued M-14s for the Cuban crisis invasion. The marines took them back after the crisis and we went back to M1s.

I'll reminisce a little myself. While stationed at Le Jeune in 1972 I was part of a working party sent to the armory to help them reorganize the place. There was a 9 cube box on the deck that the armorers wanted moved. I tried to push it and damn near gave myself a hernia it was so heavy. I asked the armorer what the hell was in this thing. He opened the box and was packed to the gunnels with M3 Grease guns.

Got to RVN October 1967 and received an M14. They were taken from us in early 1968 just in time for the TET offensive. Sure was nice to have a totally non functioning piece of crap M16 at a time when we needed our real rifles.
    Leave it to the gubment to dork things up. I guess that won't ever stop.

Semper Fi
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by the_1st_sgt View Post
    I'll reminisce a little myself. While stationed at Le Jeune in 1972 I was part of a working party sent to the armory to help them reorganize the place. There was a 9 cube box on the deck that the armorers wanted moved. I tried to push it and damn near gave myself a hernia it was so heavy. I asked the armorer what the hell was in this thing. He opened the box and was packed to the gunnels with M3 Grease guns.
    I had a similar experience at Camp Lejeune. I worked as the battalion armorer for 3-10 from late 1956 until mid 1958 when I transferred. In the armory there was a large banded crate that I used for a work bench. For the longest time I had no idea what was in it. One day I decided to crack it open and see. It contained a number of carbines with infrared sniper scopes and battery backpacks. I sealed the crate back up and continued using it as my work bench. I latter was told that each infantry battalion had the M1 Garand sniper rifles ( MC 52 possibly) and artillery battalions had the carbines. As this was peace time these weapons were never issued, in fact, I had no idea who they would have been issued to.