Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I was issued an H&R M16A1 at Ft. Knox, Kentucky while attending the ROTC Basic Summer Camp (2 year program). Actually, I believe it was marked XM16E1, but that was a long time and many M16s/AR15s ago. The one thing I remember with great clarity is that it was amazingly accurate. And that we cleaned the barrels (per the instructions of our Drill Sergeant) with the bore brush on the end of a bunch of sections of cleaning rod chucked into a power drill.

2. Default

I saw many H&Rs, Colts, and GM Hydramatic made A1 lowers in my service time

3. Default

When did you do the Ft. Knox 2 year basic summer camp? I was there in the summer of 1975. SFC Hendricks and SSG Blackmon were my two drill sergeants. We didn't the cleaning rod and drill method but we did immerse the complete upper group sans handguards in 55 gallon drums cut in half and mounted horizontally and filled with solvent. It just about peeled the skin off of my hands.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by smle-man View Post
    When did you do the Ft. Knox 2 year basic summer camp? I was there in the summer of 1975. SFC Hendricks and SSG Blackmon were my two drill sergeants. We didn't the cleaning rod and drill method but we did immerse the complete upper group sans handguards in 55 gallon drums cut in half and mounted horizontally and filled with solvent. It just about peeled the skin off of my hands.
    smle-man--

I was there in the Summer of 1972, SFC Hendricks was there as the Fourth Platoon Sgt. I was in the Third Platoon with SFC Booth. The unit was C Company, 13th Battation 4th Brigade. Fate would intervene and I would not complete ROTC due to family issues. I enlisted in the PA NG in 1975 and then went to OCS at Ft. Benning, GA. And as they says the rest is history. I MRDed with 30 years in 2005.

I remember the cleaning in the 55 gallon drum halfs. That Summer Camp I fell in love with the M16A1 rifle. I alway felt the M16A2s were unnecessarily too heavy.

--fjruple
    Last edited by fjruple; 10-30-2014 at 05:02.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    smle-man--

I was there in the Summer of 1972, SFC Hendricks was there as the Fourth Platoon Sgt. I was in the Third Platoon with SFC Booth. The unit was C Company, 13th Battation 4th Brigade. Fate would intervene and I would not complete ROTC due to family issues. I enlisted in the PA NG in 1975 and then went to OCS at Ft. Benning, GA. And as they says the rest is history. I MRDed with 30 years in 2005.

I remember the cleaning in the 55 gallon drum halfs. That Summer Camp I fell in love with the M16A1 rifle. I alway felt the M16A2s were unnecessarily too heavy.

--fjruple
    Well how about that! Our rotation was the last for SFC Hendricks. His next stop was a tour in Korea and then out. What a character! I remember his saying something to the effect of 'we are no longer permitted to strike recruits; however by the time I am finished with you, you will wish that I did so and got it over with'. I got commissioned in 1977 at Pitt and spent 5 years on active duty and 15 in the Guard and Reserve. I then served another 11 in the State Defense Force (CA Military Reserve) here in California.

Good times, thanks for sharing.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Genuine H&R and US Property marked M16A1 here:

http://www.autoweapons.com/photosn/p...04/880m16.html
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

7. Default

I was issued three M16s during my time in the Army, a Colt, Hydra-Matic and H&R. I also remember the half drum cleaning during basic. During our final weapons inspection everyone was crowded around the drum fighting over space and cleaning rods trying to get out of there. The D.I's kept rejecting all rifles and sending them back for more cleaning, I got tired of waiting for space around the drum so I went into the barracks and turn the water on as hot as it would go took my rifle apart and ran it thru the hot water at full force, oiled her up and took her to the arms room, got a compliment from from the D.I. in charge on such a clean weapon. I just waved goodbye to all the guys huddled around the drum as I left!
    Terry

8. Default

The rifle pictured in Andouille's post shows no serial number in the expected place, while the rifle pictured in the earlier post has a three digit (208?) number, which seems too low for a rifle of that era. Did H&R's lack receiver serial numbers, or were they located in a different place? After the M1903 numbering fiasco (SA and RIA rifles sharing the same number), I doubt whether H&R would have been permitted to start at zero...

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyo55 View Post
    The rifle pictured in Andouille's post shows no serial number in the expected place, while the rifle pictured in the earlier post has a three digit (208?) number, which seems too low for a rifle of that era. Did H&R's lack receiver serial numbers, or were they located in a different place? After the M1903 numbering fiasco (SA and RIA rifles sharing the same number), I doubt whether H&R would have been permitted to start at zero...
    jonnyo55--

It looks like someone photoshopped out the serial number in the picture. The serial number should be in the same place as with the Colts. I saw the mil spec drawing for markings of the M16A1 and the serial number should be under the Caliber 5.56mm marking. I believe the H&R M16A1 was assigned the 2,000,000 serial number range with 2,220,000 being the highest known serial. The GM Hydromatic Division was assigned the 3,000,000 serial number range. I believe not all of the 3,000,000 serial number range was used as well.

--fjruple
    Last edited by fjruple; 11-07-2014 at 03:35.

10. Default

Not rare at all.