Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AA Augusta Arsenal followed by inspectors initial. AAR, AAA, AAS and so on. Problem is AAA is also considered Anniston so it is up for debate. I have AAA markings in many fonts and sizes all the way back to 1903's Rick B

Last edited by Rick B; 08-24-2014 at 06:40. Reason: Too add pictures

2. Default

Could the 041 actually be O 41 for Ogden- Utah, with the stock being rebuilt at a different location?

I know it is not a 2 letter identifier, just taking a wild stab.

The marks all seem to have a similar look to them. Often the O is very light and the 1 is hit a little heavier. The spacing is always wide.

Last edited by dryheat; 08-24-2014 at 03:25.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

4. Default

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Here is an exchange I had with another owner of a 041 marked stock(I have one also). I'm Jeff. My 041 stock does has the A4 stamp as well.

Jeff,
    Here is a picture of the 041 on my DCM IHC. I would sure like to share any
    imformation you find about the 041 rebuilds. I've emailed many of the collector
    to include Duff and they don't have a clue other than that the 041 came out of
    Rock Island. One gentleman thought that they were an Air Force rebuild but
    couldn't find his documents to support what he was saying. Another man - Ernie
    Waterhouse -who I purchased the rifle from thought the same thing but didn't
    have anything to back it up. Good luck on your quest.

Jeff,
    I will check with Ernie and see if he ever found the "041" paperwork he had. He told me initially that the 041 was an Air Force marksmanship team rebuild did which would make more sense(after I mentioned that different arsenals marking accompany) with so many different rebuilds on the 041 Garands. I have another picture of an 041 rebuild that was on GunBroker(I bid and lost) and the 041 is identical to mine and yours. Stay in touch and let's see what we can find out.
    Thanks for that reply Jeff. I was thinking of the 041 mark being already on the stock when it went through Anniston. It may end up being one of those things we never get an answer to. Joe

Yes, the 0 4 1 is an enduring mystery.

7. Default 041 Marking on M1 Garand Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Yes, the 0 4 1 is an enduring mystery.
    Gentlemen,

I have 2 M1's from the DCM that I purchased from the men who originally received them. One was without the paperwork and one was with all paperwork including the box and protective wrapping. The 041's both shipped from Rock Island Arsenal in 1982. The protective wrap of one Garand does have the A-4 and the 041 in the same line. My guess Anniston sent all their surplus to Rock Island for storage. The one in the wrap still has the barrel tube and protective wrap on the buttstock, it has never been fired since it's rebuild. Both have new LMR barrels.

If you want pictures, let me know. Ill try to figure that out.

Respectfully,

Rev.+Paul

OP is 5 years old.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    OP is 5 years old.
    That's OK. I'm still ambulatory and taking nourishment. Thanks for the additional info. So the talk about Anniston and Rock Island might be in the right direction.

-The protective wrap of one Garand does have the A-4 and the 041 in the same line. My guess Anniston sent all their surplus to Rock Island for storage.-