Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default New acquisition Type 99 Arisaka

I recently added a Type 99 Arisaka at a local auction. It seems to be in very nice condition but seems to be missing some bits and pieces, notably the monopod and aircraft sight wings. The bore is bright and shiney with strong rifling but I can't tell if it is chrome lined or not. I'm guessing the sling may be a repro. I'm curious how I did for $145.00. I have a collection of WW2 rifles and needed a Jap Arisaka to complete it. My Dad sent home two of them in 1945 but they ended up with other family members. I am very ignorant about Japanese rifles so any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

A close up of the left side of the receiver will show the series and arsenal. That will give the information on what would have been on the rifle when issued. The cleaning rod is missing, and the stock looks a bit light. Possibly stripped and refinished.
    Still, $145 is a good price.
    The rifles were "matched" by the last three numbers of the serial number, on the bolt and bayonet lug. The pictures aren't close enough for me to see if the "Mum" is still on top of the receiver.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

There is a very small grind mark where the mum was removed. I wish it were not so.

Also seems to be missing a screw in the front band. If the bore is shiny, it's most likely chrome... it has the early "plum-shaped" bolt handle, higher front sight wings, and AA rear sight (missing the wings). It's pretty nice looking. Reproduction Monopods and Action Dust Covers are available. The AA wings can be found also. Have you shot it yet? Ammo is available from Norma or Hornady. If you plan on reloading, brass is available from Graf and Sons or Midway. You'll load it with a .303 British bullet (yes, they used the same bullet).

I'll be shooting one of my T-99s in an upcoming CMP vintage match next month!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Here is a larger PIC of the left side of the receiver. I would really like to know where and approximately when it was made. I noted the missing screw and would like to find a replacement.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

It was made at the Nagoya Arsenal. The key to the date is the series mark to the left of the serial number. (I can't make that out. This website will show the series marks. http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banza...a.htm#Model_99)

The serial numbers are assigned, 1 to 100,000 to each series, and are repeated. So Nagoya would have made 13 rifles with the same serial number. The series is the key.

Is the bolt and front band (bayonet lug) matching?

Oh, and by the way, don't try an decock the bolt as you would a Mauser or a M1903, or your next question will be "My bolt is jammed, help". :>)
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

Thanks much for the info Dean. I will definitely not mess with the bolt. As I said, I'm not at all familiar with the Arisaka rifles. I would like to test fire it but have no ammo. I reload 303 Brit so bullets would not be an issue but I'm wondering if buying dies and brass would be worthwhile, particularly as I don't shoot as much as I used to: age and lack of breath are catching up with me.

Again, thanks for the help.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention the number check. Serial No. 15131. Front band is numbered 131 so it matches. Bolt is numbered 363 so its a mismatch. I'm guessing the mismatched bolt will affect value somewhat. I didn't pay a whole lot for it ($180.00) so it probably doesn't make much difference. Hopefully headspace is still OK.

If you just want to 'try it out' buy a couple boxes of cartridges. Chrome bores almost always have a shiney ring around the bore when looking at the end of barrel. The stock is a definate refinish, as you will see if you remove it from stock. There are stains which will duplicate color, even tho originally colors vary. (I have experimented a lot along these lines) altho jap stocks usually have dents due to soft wood used. For 145 you can't/didn't go wrong!

Correction: (I got confused!) I did pay $145.00 for the Arisaka. The $180.00 was the price for a British SMLE that I bought at the same auction.