[QUOTE=dave;421533]
Quote Originally Posted by Deano41 View Post

The angle of the splice in the butt stock is correct for that series and serial number (more trivia)

The angle of the splice is the same on all jap rifles. The grain on the lower part ran down ward at the angle of bottom of stock, so you did not have those short grained pieces on the toe that chipped so easily. The upper section had the grain runner straight back like the ret of the stock. Stock on jap rifles have been made this way since the late 1800's.
Not being blessed with a good memory, I rely on books written by people more knowledgeable than I.
My statement on the difference in the splice in the buttstock is based on "The Japanese Type 99 Arisaka Rifle" by Don Voigt, pages 37 and 111, (2010 Edition). Those pages also include photographs of the two different examples.
On page 37, reference the Series three Type 99 Rifle,
"Stock: Pigmented urishi finished two piece butt stock. Type A with horizontal splice and drainage holes; changed to angle splice about midway through the series. Three screw upper band Type A. Lower band Type B with monopod."