Thread: 1918 bsa smle

Default 1918 bsa smle

Hello, Its been awhile since I visited here. In any case, I blundered into an auction buy last weekend and ended up with a BSA SMLE and a Jap 7.7 Arisaka. I particularly wanted the Arisaka (didn't have one in my World Wars collection) but I bid on the Enfield because it had a pristine Kerr "Nobuckl" sling on it which I knew had some value and which I will list for sale elsewhere on-line. To make a long story short, I got the Enfield for a reasonable price and am now debating whether to keep or not. It is a duplication of an almost identical 1918 dated BSA No. 1 Mk. III* already in my collection and is not in quite as nice condition. Metal finish and bore condition are very good and the wood is very presentable except for missing handguard "fingers" around the rear sight. It is not marked "FTR" but I suspect it has been re-arsenaled at some point as there is a crossed out serial no. on the receiver above what is probably a new one. The new number also appears on the bolt handle and the nose piece. I don't know if the barrel number matches as I have not removed the wood. I was wondering what a fair value might be in the current market if I decide to put it up for sale. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I've just gotten into Enfields. Pricing for such Enfields as yours list from $400 to $800. More if in pristine condition. Go to gunsinternational and click on enfields to see the range of pricing and enfields.
    Last edited by tmark; 08-20-2014 at 07:49.

Interesting. It has the earlier striker knob and the stock is cut for the magazine cutoff

Looks re-blued, no wear on bolt handle at all.

I also think the metal finish is a bit too good for the age of this rifle, As I noted previously, I suspect it has been refurbished at some point although it is not marked FTR.

Did notice one odd thing. The sling swivel on the nosecap instead of a piling (stacking) swivel

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Interesting. It has the earlier striker knob and the stock is cut for the magazine cutoff
    The early cocking piece seems to be common on 1918 BSAs but the forend being relieved for the cutoff is not.
    My two 1918 BSAs both with full matching numbers (one does have a Lithgow replacement receiver) both with original bolts & both have BSA marked early style cocking pieces, shame they weren't still numbering the cocking pieces then to be 100% sure of originality but i have no reason to suspect they aren't original to the rifles.

John Sukey, you noted The sling swivel on the nosecap instead of a piling (stacking) swivel. When purchased at the estate auction, the Kerr "Nobuckle" sling was attached at butt and stacking swivel points. I have no idea why and the previous owner has passed so can't ask.