Thread: GI Bore cleaner

Default GI Bore cleaner

Just about to run out of some Ed's Red bore cleaner a pal gave me. I have some old green cans of GI bore cleaner. One even has "POISON" on it in big letters. How does it compare to the home brew or the commercial stuff for corrosive and non corrosive ammo?
    jebb

The WW11 stuff (you can tell it by the smell!) is excellent for corrsive ammo, thats what it was made for! Never use anything else, myself.

I have a can of WWII cleaner that smells like coal tar. It will remove some copper and I havent had rust issues due to corrosive ammo.

It works well enough when I worry about corrosive salts. For non corrosive Ive never been dissapointed by Hoppes.
    Last edited by pmclaine; 08-19-2014 at 09:25.

As I recall, genuine GI bore cleaner (before the M16) is water based with petroleum distillates. The water makes it effective against corrosive priming and the rest protects against rust. At my last club I maintained 10 M1 rifles using just GI bore cleaner for cleaning and preserving the metal. Never had any rust issues even in long term relatively dry storage. We never used corrosive ammo but I am confidant we would have had the same safe results had we done so. George in NH

I was at a auction and there were three cases of the stuff that went for cheap. Wish I would have bid on them.

Don't drink it. In the olden days a label was enough to stop people from drinking it. It works great by the way.

WWII vintage USGI bore cleaner pops up from time to time, it is poisonous but works great. Stinks to high heavens but takes care of the corrosive stuff asap smells like creosote. I still have a quart or two around here.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH