Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I have a Mark 1, vintage 1976. They are the easiest to take apart and reassemble. My son has a Mark III, it and the Mark II have features that the Mark I doesn't. Such as a 10 round magazine vs. 9, and a bolt release/holdback mechanism. The only way to hold a Mark I bolt open is to engage the safety while you hold the bolt open. I can take my Mark I apart and back together 4 times before my son can do same to his Mark III once. You have to follow the manual exactly, hold the muzzle up, remove/insert the magazine, etc., when they tell you. There's a company that makes a kit that simplifies the process: http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html My son bought one for his Mark III, works very well. I didn't for my Mark I since I didn't have a problem.

Thanks for the advice. I got the back strap latch open all the way, and got it to cock. I haven't located a plastic punch around here to drive the pin out, but I sent to Brownell's for their Ruger takedown "kit" which they say can be used as a non-marring punch. What an aggravation. I have a Ruger Super Single Six 22lr/22mag. that I like even better now. And the little PP 22lr, while certainly not a target pistol, is a breeze to strip also.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPDAVE View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I got the back strap latch open all the way, and got it to cock. I haven't located a plastic punch around here to drive the pin out, but I sent to Brownell's for their Ruger takedown "kit" which they say can be used as a non-marring punch. What an aggravation. I have a Ruger Super Single Six 22lr/22mag. that I like even better now. And the little PP 22lr, while certainly not a target pistol, is a breeze to strip also.
    The Walther PP in .22 LR is a sweetheart of mine. It is also a breeze to field strip and reassemble.
    Last edited by Oyaji; 08-22-2014 at 07:11.

OK, so it is not the easiest to take down and reassemble; when is that a major fault with a simple, reliable and accurate pistol?
    If disassembly is too much trouble just soak the entire gun or spray it with carb cleaner and relube.

I had the same problem. I couldn't draw the bolt back after assembling it incorrectly. A quick search of the inter-web found a solution that worked for me. Rap the rear of the with a ruber or plastic mallet to move the hammer forward. Then disassemble and reassemble properly with the muzzle pointing up.

Blog Entries

never understood the difficulty with them myself,
    I have an AMT lightning, about 84 vintage, that I have had since new,
    took about 5-6 times to figure it out, (not counting the time I felt like throwing it across the room!!!)

just picked up an early 50's standard mk I (I think that is the right nomenclature) that was fairly easy to take apart, clean and put back,

patience, and a basic understanding of where the parts need to be, is all that is needed