Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disassembly problem - Ruger Mark II

Hi - In return for fixing my laptop, I told my neighbor I'd clean his Ruger Mark 2 Target pistol.
    He only told me that he couldn't figure it out. I see hammer marks on the large pin that sticks up behind the sights. The bolt will only come back halfway. I tried the device on the rear of the pistol grip but it only comes out a short distance. I called him and he said something about the firing pin falling. Any help? Thanks, Dave

On the Gun Talk Board here on Jousters........ about 6 or so posts from the top, there is a thread "On Line manuals for most firearms" posted by Doug. It takes you to a site that lists huge number of original factory manuals.... your Ruger Mark II manual is there & in it, it tells you how to disassemble & reassemble it........... I found the print size to be large enough for me, but I wear bifocals... good luck too you sir.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

That pistol has to be one of the most troublesome pistols to reassemble, comes apart easily. I've done it many times and it's still difficult at best and takes two or more times to get everything lined up. As far as hammer marks on the pin he tried brute force and that will not work. Hope he didn't break or bend anything.

The Ruger Mark 2 Target isn't designed to be taken apart. The barrel/receiver, for example. is on there with a press fit. Mind you, it's usually not getting it apart that give grief. It's getting it back together. That requires fiddling until the parts go in.
    Last edited by Sunray; 08-20-2014 at 10:01.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Make a hook from a paper clip, reach up inside the mechanism and you will find a loose, dangling part. Pull it back and hold the pistol pointed up as you close the takedown latch.

The only thing I have ever had go wrong with one was the part of the recoil spring assembly that straddles the bolt stop pin spreading out of breaking, but that takes a lot of firing. I just go ahead and get out the instructions before I start, as it is one pistol that you will very seldom luck back together.

Blog Entries

Here's a video, sounds like he has the hammer strut in the wrong place for sure.

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Those Ruger .22 pistols are a pain in the a$$. Oh sure, the Ruger lovers will always tell you how easy they are to reassemble after doing it a time or two. I've owned three of them over the years and was never happy with them. Then I got smart and bought a Smith Model 41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    Those Ruger .22 pistols are a pain in the a$$. Oh sure, the Ruger lovers will always tell you how easy they are to reassemble after doing it a time or two. I've owned three of them over the years and was never happy with them. Then I got smart and bought a Smith Model 41.
    What did you dislike about the Ruger other than dissassembly? I own a 1967 vintage Model 41 myself, so I've never had a reason to buy a Ruger so other than plinking with some friends I've not shot them much.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I have two. One is fron 1976 and the other I bought at auction. The auction buy was so dirty It wouldn't come apart but would still fire. I wound up removing the grips and sticking it in a bucket of diesel for two days.