Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    OK, I'll get to work on that. I've tried wood patch out of a can before and that just won't do. I'll get some walnut and see what I can do. Thanks John.
    I've owned a RIA that had several PERFECT patches added to the stock. I wonder if anyone is still around that can do such expert work without the use of lasers or computer guidance.

I hear Rick B is good at repair work as well as bringing back an original finish to a stock.

John
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 08-18-2014 at 07:53.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Possibly an old time furniture repairman would be helpful.

Default safety

Fred, you might look for a Bannerman safety, they are around and not worth much but you might want it for your rifle, You have to modify the locking shoulder on the firing pin rod but some use these on restorations
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an interesting item indeed. I'll keep a look out for one.

John could you explain why you like the butt plate? Is it an early Krag one or another reason? I'm far away from my early 03 that has a krag one on it to compare.

Fred, that rifle is just beautiful! Ray

Ray, I received the butt plate from John in a trade along with some other parts. I'm Thrilled over what I received from him.
    I'm glad that you like the rifle! I've never had one and didn't think that I ever would. I was fortunate that this one was overlooked and passed by at the auction. Actually, there was so much other stuff there that the rifle wasn't focused on very well by anyone with much knowledge about that type of rifle. I only saw it after somebody posted something on The Krag Collectors Forum about another gun on the auction site. I started doing searches on the auction lots and came across the rifle. They weren't even sure whether or not it was chambered in 30-06 or 30-03. I took an educated guess and did alright. It is in the original 30-03. I already had the correct and unaltered polished bolt for a RB 03 and so it was just an easy decision to make for me. I asked my lovely wife if I could have it for my birthday and she said yes. It's good to be loved!
    Last edited by Fred; 08-21-2014 at 01:14.

I'm resurrecting this old thread to say that I'm going to use one of the two Krag hand guard clips from an old split hand guard to create the clip on the Hand guard for my Rod Bayonet rifle. I finally found an old, already damaged Krag hand guard being auctioned and if I win it, will be able to remove the particular clip that I need without ruining a good solid Krag hand guard. The front and rear clips are differently sized and one of them should be perfect for use on the Rod Bayonet 03. I appreciate the information you gave me on the clip placement RCS!
    Six minutes left on the auction.

Won it. So now I can complete my rifle before I die. Of course that's not for some time I hope, but like Forest Gump say's, that's one more thing that I don't have to worry about now.
    Last edited by Fred; 03-02-2015 at 06:12.

Looks really nice, Fred!

Hope my M1882 28" barrel Short Rifle with (genuine) triangular rod bayonet turns out half as well.

Beautiful pics, was this a rifle you restored you just simply found. Either way it's absolutely gorgeous!