Default Kollmorgen Scope

I have this old scope its a Kollmorgen Bearcub, I believe a 4X. The only thing, instead of black like everyone I've seen, this one is a dark green. Does that mean anything?

Just wondering. I got it from an oldtime Garand collector and his son told me he took it off a Garand that he had.

Semper Fidelis

Jim Wright
    gunner312

can you post pictures? Particularly of the markings. Kolllmorgen manufactured the Bearcub line initially for Stith. Then for a few years under their own name. Finally in the late 50's Kollmorgen sold its Bearcub line to Redfield.

I've seen one dark green one too......... I assumed that it had been park'ed...... It was on a Winchester mod 70 sporter, in .30-06, I believe 1941 manf. or 1942 maybe....... like a dunce I didn't buy it at auction back in the late 1980's in Salisbury, Mo. ............Rifle had seen use............ & had then been refinished /parkerized to a similar tint of dark green...........
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

4. Default

They are a green anodized finish and common in the sport version but the USMC version with external adjustments is a very rare and valuable sniper scope.
    Last edited by Johnny in Texas; 08-19-2014 at 06:54.

How can you tell the difference? What are external adjustments? It has windage and elevation adjustments on it. I don't have a way to do pictures. I got this from a guy who told me his dad took it off a Garand?

Semper Fidelis

Jim Wright
    gunner312
    Last edited by gunner312; 08-19-2014 at 08:43.

6. Default

Jim, The MC-1 USMC scope has external adjustment turrets while the commercial scopes have windage and elevation adjustments that are under conventional screw on caps. Otherwise the MC-1 and the Kollmorgen commercial scopes look nearly identical. Rick