Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Krag

Default New Krag

Just picked up. Ser. 441281 1898. Ins. 1903. Nice cartouches. Barrel looks dark.Looks to be in great cond.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oiler in butt also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Odd place for a 92 sight. Although there were times they fell back to the 92s, I think it was earlier in production than what yours would be.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Very nice! Congrats...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

Can't tell about an 1892 sight from the photo, but later rifles were never fitted with either variation of the 1892 rear sight. As for the bore-first check bolt headspace and clean bore as best you can with whatever bore cleaner you like. Then, shoot 4-5 jacketed bullets through the bore. I have done this on a number of cruddy Krag bores and be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Uhhhh??????? The 1892 sight is quite clear - but whether or not it matches the handguard cut is not.

So far as usage is concerned, Mallory claims (if de-bunked I'm not aware of it) that 1892 sights were used, very briefly - in order to complete production while desired sight was in shortage - on some 1898 rifles. This should be checked very carefully before changing anything!! This might be a real snapshot in time. Of course it could also be bubba, but it surely deserves futher attention.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Mallory claims (if de-bunked I'm not aware of it) that 1892 sights were used, very briefly - in order to complete production while desired sight was in shortage - on some 1898 rifles.
    I don't believe that. Impossible to know, I wasn't there, but everything argues against that.

Let's, for the sake of argument, say that they did. Then the question becomes: "how many left Springfield with them?" Which again should be zero.

Not that I believe any were made that way as I don't.

I wasn't either, but why would Frank make up such a thing?

You'll have to commune with his spirit, I guess. He wasn't a big footnoter.

Now, if Dusan had written the book, we'd have a better chance! :-)

I would imagine that if M1892 sights were used on M1898 rifles, it would have been during the short time that the M1898 sights had to be dumped because of the problems with the new ammo. At that time they could have used M1892 sights due top a shortage of M1896 sights because the hand guards could fit either one and the screws were the same. However, those SN numbers would have been in the early range for M1898s, and the rifles made with the M1892 sights could have been retained at the Armory, ready to issue if need be, but changed to the M1896 sight as soon as possible. As an aside, the SAW ended about the time M1898 production began, and in February 1899 the Philippine Insurrection started. I'm not sure when the decision was made to dump the M1898 sight and continue with the M1896 sight, but the confluence of events may have had some to do with any temporary use of the M1892 sight.
    Just speculating.

Will post clear pics of rear site and mount.