Thread: MiD mount screw

Default MiD mount screw

http://www.nicolausassociates.com/im...ver%20Page.jpg
    In the lower left corner the above show the componets of the M1D mount. I can not find the dimensions of the mount screw. Does anyone have a scaled drawing or know the dimensions of the screw. I know the screw is 5/16x32. The one on my mount is 5/16x28. I would like to try to have a new one made but need the specs.

1. Call, write, email Ordnance museum and ask if they have M1D mount dwgs in collection, and what it would cost for a complet set.

2. Is the mount N.O.S. USGI, used USGI, or new or used repro? Repro stuff is crap. Lots of gun forums for m-1 or sniper bogs, have B,M&C's about repro quality bening crappy. cheap metal, bad manufacturing, etc.

3. As to threads,etc. any *GOOD* machine shop should be able to tell you the threads on the screw and the hole.

RHB

Some of the later rebuild D's from CMP came with defective screws. Mine stripped, but it was some time after purchase and CMP would not make it good. It is a factory pressed assembly, not just a bolt. As such I was assured making a repair part was a no go. I bought a replacement GI mount through National Match Armory and had them Loc Tite it.

1, Is this where I should make the request? http://www.ordmusfound.org/
    2, Yes it was a M1D mount purchased through the CMP in 2010. The thumbwheel has a glob of weld where the original screw was replaced with a 5/16x28 screw which is longer than the original screw. It must have been used for something other than a M1D. CMP was sold out of the mounts and would not replace it.
    3 That is what I hoped could be done it I had the screw dimensions and then have it TIG welded back on the thumbwheel.

FWIW the GI Part no. for the M1-D scope bracket is C-7312542. Each of the components has its own part no and the attaching screw is part B-7312548. Some of the SNL's or maintenance manuals might give detailed specs on the screw. I have no idea if ordnance stocked the spares separately or just repalced the bracket as a unit.

Regards,
    Jim

Thanks Jim. The drawing number for the M1D mount I found was C7312554 which came from The Garand Stand Report. Sent that info to the historian at Ft. Lee to see if they have any dimensions on the screw.

Five 0 ..You are right. I was working from a reproduced TM picture inn Hatchers book of the Garand. Pulled out a later SNL and it listed C7312554 as the "BRACKET, KNOB and PLUNGER assembly (M1-D) i.e includes the screw and all the minor parts. C7312542 is just the bracket shell/

Regards,
    Jim