Default Curious about this M1911 'black army'

This auction just ended, a pretty sweet price for a nice looking 1911. But I've been wondering about the finish, it looks so much better than any other I've seen on pistols above the 400000 SN. Doesn't the black finish typically flake and deteriorate badly?
    Thanks for any comments. The Gunbroker # is 431433541.

It is just about as easy to provide the link as the auction number, and everyone doesn't have to log onto Gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=431433541

While it is true most of the late war Model 1911 pistols had a problem with the finish flaking, all did not. Colt discontinued the final polish on the late war pistols, and it also appears that they did not spend as much time on surface preparation before bluing.

This Model 1911 doesn't show the typical flaking except on the serial number and acceptance stamp. These stamps were put on through the finish after the pistol was finished. This resulted in the finish being disturbed in those areas, and probably slightly hardened the surrounding metal resulting in the finish flaking off. The flaking follows the shape of the stamps.

It is just about as easy to provide the link as the auction number, and everyone doesn't have to log onto Gunbroker
    Johnny P,
    While I appreciate your help with my actual question, I find it a bit offensive to criticize me for not knowing how to link the auction without telling me how. Or maybe that would take too much time too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee T. View Post
    It is just about as easy to provide the link as the auction number, and everyone doesn't have to log onto Gunbroker
    Johnny P,
    While I appreciate your help with my actual question, I find it a bit offensive to criticize me for not knowing how to link the auction without telling me how. Or maybe that would take too much time too.
    How was I to know you didn't know how to copy and paste links? A simple explanation that you "didn't know how to post the link, but here is the auction number" would have been sufficient. I would have gladly provided you with the information on how to copy and paste the link. As to taking time, I spent considerable time even posting a photograph for you, but apparently that doesn't seem to count for anything.

Johnny,
    Any comment on the auction in question? I do not see any "halos" around either the serial number or the final inspection stamp. That is in stark contrast to the pistol that you show and numerous other pieces in that serial number range that I have examined. It would also appear that the barrel hood area has an inordinate amount of finish loss when compared to the rest of the pistol. Sanded? I also notice that the high edge wear marks are not consistent with spending time in a M1916 holster. Thanks in advance for your time!

Scott,

The photos are so dark that I wouldn't even consider bidding on the pistol. It also has the Circle/S on the right side trigger guard, and I guess we still don't know what that means. Maybe a contract rework of some kind?

All the original late Model 1911's do not have the halo around the after finish markings. As Colt finishes go, the late 1911 pistols just had an abnormal finish.

JP

I am satisfied that the pistol has been refinished. A couple of the photos show some surface prep/ sanding marks that are totally inconsistent with known original pistols in that serial number range. I also find it strange that the serial number stamp is completely finished, no sign of burnish at all.