Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by da gimp View Post
    actually one of the guys here was at the range with a M1A equipped with one.................. he had to break down the rifle to prove it was just for "looks" was inert.............. the LEO's who checked him were not that friendly & he had the distinctive feeling that he'd just made their list of creeps........... He took the damn thing off & went back to using a civilian m1A stock.............under the basic good sense of who needs the headaches............... so far only the guy selling them & his friends say they've had no problems.
    sounds like Commiefornia

I made my own.

I went with the selector lock on this one.

Don't worry about the kits. I went to the BATF myself in Louisville and told them what I was doing and they had absolutely no problem with anything. They said, "Just as long as it does not make it fully-automatic, you're fine". Good enough for me.

3. Default

So dagimp, "one guy" you know of had to open his rifle and show a P.I.A. busy-body it wasn't a machine gun. ... Hardly the nightmarish series of events you envision in your prior post. If this is the best example of a horror story you've got, I'm pretty comfortable with my odds of not winding up in federal court. Heck, I had to show a Game Warden that I had a valid fishing license one time and I'm pert near fully recovered from that incident.

All kidding aside, I'm just not worried about it. It would take a special kind of dolt to cause a problem, one who: A) understands how an M14 works enough to know what a selector switch looks like, yet B) can't grasp that if it's not actually connected to the rifle, it can't actually do anything. Statistically, there just can't be that many of those types wandering around out there.

DeWayne
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 08-05-2014 at 05:18.

Art and DeWayne, you guys better go easy on da Gimp. He is from Missouri, you know.

Missouri ? Ain't that where the Japs signed their lives away?
    I think I get your drift. With 5 yrs on the forum and 8,300+ post, it would appear the gent has a lot of time on his hands.
    Must be a federal employee.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tompkins View Post
    I made my own.

I went with the selector lock on this one.

Don't worry about the kits. I went to the BATF myself in Louisville and told them what I was doing and they had absolutely no problem with anything. They said, "Just as long as it does not make it fully-automatic, you're fine". Good enough for me.

Very nice, which receiver did you use on the build?

I used one of the older Springfield Armory, Inc Receivers. It had the thinner op rod rail that allowed use of the connector rod. Everything else was Winchester in all of the marked major components. Hardest part of the build was modifying the charging block by drilling and tapping for the ART II mount. It shot extremely well. I used it for many years to hunt white-tail deer. Sadly, it has moved on to another owner. It's the only rifle that I have ever owned that I regretted selling. :-(

I had the pleasure of possessing a real M14 rifle for about 17 years. During that time I was never questioned about it being a class III weapon. A couple of my personal custom built LRB rifles have Hawk's selector kits installed and no one seems to mind. I do use the lock instead of the switch on my rifles. Seems like I'm always hitting my knuckle on the switch when opening the action and it hurts. The lock doesn't get in the way. Besides, the rifles are semi automatic anyway.

Thanks Ted,
    The M14s issued to me in the Corps all had the lockouts too. I only had a chance to use one with the switch a couple of times and thought it sucked big time. I do like the appearance of Hawk's kits, and the choice of button or switch. I have changed mine back and forth so many times over the years it make this old fart dizzy..
    Happy Daze
    Art