Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    Not really hot. Only 1.2 % over max recommended load.
    Just wondering why your reloads are 1.2% over max recommended load? With temp. variations, your loads could be honestly hotter than you think.
    Max loads are published as a guide line and those max loads could be too hot in your weapons. Looking at primers is a very good indication on how hot they are. I know you are a seasoned reloader, just wondering!
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

There were no signs of over pressure, but I'm sure the brass has been reloaded a uncounted number of times. Most times the necks split first or the base no longer goes into the shell holder, then the case hits the scrap bucket. By the way the load was 24.8 gr while the max published is 24.5 gr.

You Missouri boys are always walking just over the line.

Signed Kansas Jayhawker

Anything over a maximum recommended load is considered HOT, by many, many reloaders...

I have only approached max. loads twice, once in my Ruger SBH, and once in my Taurus .357. Neither was accurate nor fun to shoot.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    You Missouri boys are always walking just over the line.

Signed Kansas Jayhawker
    No, we're not walkin, we're riden over the line, the Kansas line, after a good raid.

Missouri Rider

Just kidding

Many things can affect breech pressure such as temperature, amount of powder, and seating depth of the bullet, if the front of the bullet is wedged a little into the initial lands of the rifle, etc.

A combination of these things can elevated chamber pressures higher than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by joem View Post
    There were no signs of over pressure, but I'm sure the brass has been reloaded a uncounted number of times. Most times the necks split first or the base no longer goes into the shell holder, then the case hits the scrap bucket. By the way the load was 24.8 gr while the max published is 24.5 gr.
    Over the published load is extremely dangerous in MHO! There are so many reasons not to overload your cases that I find anyone who does is looking for future troubles. Constantly putting extreme loads puts undo wear on your weapon and poses a serious trend, "Well it's worked for years, and now it's blown up!" It happens! Mores Law does not work in reloading!
    A good example last Sunday was a reloader tried to put the same charge from a 270 WSM in a standard 270. All I can say is 21 stiches, a blown up rifle and now is not allowed to bring his reloaded rounds anylonger to our range. He can only shoot factory loads purchased from the club. He always had a rubber mallet on his bench in case he needed to pound the bolt open! Needless to say, he quit! Good Riddence!

I cannot condone going over the published loads and in fact I stay away from the max loads. All of the 10 calibers I presently reload for do not approach max loadings. Accuracy 99.9% of the time is in the middle of the published starting and max and sometimes the starting load is perfect.

To go and load over published max and state it on this forum is irresponsible as someone without the experience might read it and think it's ok. It's not OK! If you choose to live on the edge, do it in your own back yard. Safety comes first! I believe you should rethink your reloading practices and perhaps read about the dangers of super high pressure loads.
    Matt
    "When you tax away the rewards of effort, you destroy the motivation to achieve"

Good point, Matt. Newcomers to this forum and to reloading may get the idea that exceeding limits is ok if it works for us experienced reloaders.

To those new to reloading, get a good reloading manual (I use Lyman) and follow all safety rules.

I always use the "middle of the road" powder charges. I've never used maximum powder charges. The less stress on the bolt lugs and receiver lugs, the better.
    Last edited by tmark; 08-02-2014 at 08:20.

It depends on the application and experience of the reloader. I don't go over published data and in most guns stay at least one grain under. In my long range Sender 300 winmag I'm running a full house load. However I've been reloading a long time and I am very comfortable judging signs of overpressure. I also spend a ridiculous amount of time preparing that brass including measuring the case wall thickness with a Neeco gauge on every round. A newer reloader should stay away from Max loads unless they have a good mentor on sight.

Joem my recommendation is to at least back it off to Max or 1/2 grain under my friend. You need to consider you are running brass many reloads at a very high pressure. I know this is not your first rodeo, but its for fun and case head ruptures are anything but.

Remember, too, a max load in thicker-walled military brass will yield higher pressure than the same load in a thinner-walled commercial brass, or so I have been told.