1. Default Red dot or holo for an SKS

Looking for an inexpensive red dot or holo that will survive any recoil on an SKS rifle. Nothing too fancy with lots of bells and whistles.

A few guys at the club tried red dots and on bright sunny days they are useless. However the green lasers work much better but they cost more. Buy the best you can not a buy twice.

Neither. It's an inaccurate carbine that scoping won't help make accurate. Has no recoil.
    The biggest problem with red dot sight is the size of the dot. A 2 or 3 MOA dot will completely cover the black of a standard sighting target at 100. Not to mention the cost of some of 'em is more than an SKS is worth.
    Spelling and grammar count!

In my experience SKS carbines are not inherently mechanically inaccurate. The do suffer from poor triggers and very marginal sights. My early Russian SKS will group 3" to 3 1/2" at 100 yards with good ammunition if I do my part. It's not an M1 but it isn't inaccurate either.

I have a WASR 10 AK47 clone that has a poorer level of mechanical accuracy than an SKS, just as poor sights and a ridiculously short sighting radius. It does have a better trigger than an SKS though. With Iron sights I can hold 4" at 100 yards on a good day and can put everything into the center chest of a Transtar II silhouette target (11"x15") at 200 yards without a lot of trouble. A few years ago I bought a quality Russian PK=01V red dot sight and put it on the WASR. The target in the picture was shot at 200 yards with commercial ammunition. The one flyer was entirely my fault. I don't always shoot that well, but with the Russian red dot I have no problem keeping most shots in the "10" ring of an SR target at 200 yards with almost any ammunition if I do my part off a rest.

I'm not a big believer in cheap optics, especially red dot or holographic sights. A good red dot will work quite well in bright sunlight. I picked the sight in the picture in large part because of the 1.5 moa red dot which is plenty precise enough and I have no problem using on bright sunny days,all I have to do is adjust the intensity according to the lighting. If you are going to mount a sight on an SKS I strongly suggest having a Russian rail sidemount installed. It has nice easy on/easy off mounting and is very rigid. The other options on these top cover Com Bloc guns run from mediocre to useless. There are sights out there like the PK=01V that are robust and very easy to use, unfortunately it also wasn't what I would call cheap when I bought mine and they are darned expensive now.

CIMG1189..jpg
    Last edited by Art; 08-03-2014 at 09:26.

5. Default

Its a Russian SKS with picantinny(sp?) rails on the stock. I have a 10" rail on top to work with. Not going to be bouncing through the woods using the weapon for proper "Im up, he sees me, Im down" activities. So recoil is about the hardest thing the sight will have to deal with. Man is it a smooth shooting rifle, I like shooting it far more than my AR. Just seems smoother. So far just shooting easy to find Tul steel cased ammo.

6. Default

Scout mounts . Gives a good stout mounting platform and optics are up to you . But do your homework on these as with anything some are great and some not worth shipping costs . Have used the scout mounts on K-31's , 98's , and a few turkey guns . Have tried scout scopes and Holo sights , the Bushnell Holo sight is great for the money if you can find one , and they have a one MOA dot that is adjustable for brightness and allows for precision aiming that is more than capable of handling recoil and SKS accuracy without blotting put the aiming point . The receiver mounts are pretty much junk , and I tried a few of them . Just my experience with them and as ART said 3 inches or so is about as good as it gets at 100 yds .