Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I thought if a sniper round came in someone would yell, "Hey Hans, is that you?"

The sniper would stand up and reply, "No, it's Me...Fritz!!"
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

If you can find it on the net, the book "A rifleman went to war" by McBride is well worth reading

Blog Entries

I spoke with a friend the other day whose father was in a machine gun platoon with a potato digger. His father said that one had to be really careful going down into a trench or shell hole after a gas attack because the gas was heavier than air and would just sit there. Many found out the hard way.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The reason we had "Potato diggers". The then chief of ordnance HATED Col. Lewis, and did his best to block adoption of the Lewis gun. His excuse? We need to test it, despite the fact it had been in use by the British since the start of the war!!!!!!
    Yes, the Lewis was in .303 while we were using the 30-06 round, BUT that was a minor adjustment that could easily have been done at the factory.

The Lewis gun was actually a pretty good light machine gun, much better then the Colt Browning. The Lewis also shot down a huge number of German aircraft as it was used extensively by the RAF in fighter aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by mike webb View Post
    The Lewis gun was actually a pretty good light machine gun, much better then the Colt Browning. The Lewis also shot down a huge number of German aircraft as it was used extensively by the RAF in fighter aircraft.
    Plus it shot down Richthofen but they gave the credit to the wrong guy. It was a Canadian Lewis gunner from the trenches NOT the camel pilot. The post mortem proved he was shot from below, NOT from behind!

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Plus it shot down Richthofen but they gave the credit to the wrong guy. It was a Canadian Lewis gunner from the trenches NOT the camel pilot. The post mortem proved he was shot from below, NOT from behind!
    Wonder if the guy that shot at his plane knew he had killed him?

I think he did find out, but later.

Shooter5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mike webb View Post
    My granpa qualified on a Lewis gun during basic training Jan-May 1942 in California.

10. Default

IIRC the only Coast Guardsman to receive the Medal of Honor used the Lewis gun protecting Marines during a landing/pickup on a Pacific island.
    Last edited by leeshall; 08-30-2014 at 11:39.