Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1873 Carbine

Default 1873 Carbine

I tried to post about my 1873 Carbine sn 33xxx and now can't find my post?? Anyway! How can I find out if this is a Custer Gun? It has been in my collection about 35 years. All complete, and I never thought much about it until I read the page in AMERICAN RIFLEMAN a few days ago. Now I'm wondering and would like more info. JT in Ga

I have now logged about 60 33,000 carbines, perhaps including yours - I've been collecting data for 45 years - but only a couple have any association with the 7th Cav. Of course, "33xxx" is meaningless - if you are seriously interested, I'll need the actual number. My three are 16572, 34752, and 43584. It would help to see pics to determine whther or not it has been upgraded, as well.

You piggybacked your" LOST "post onto the post MFG 1874 which Mr. Hosmer answered there also. Its not the best idea to start a new subject at the end of an older post many do not go back and recheck them. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tom Trevor; 07-26-2014 at 09:37.

Dick, the sn is 33747. I have never posted anything about this rifle anywhere. Its been in my collection about 35 years. Although I have always been interested in the Custer story, any even went out there two times to tour the field of battle, I never looked for any connection. I am very interested and I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do so. Any thing you can tell me will be very greatly appreciated. Also I would like to get your book.Thanks in advance. JW Tipton

5. Default

It is not listed in the SRS data.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2778 View Post
    Dick, the sn is 33747. I have never posted anything about this rifle anywhere. Its been in my collection about 35 years. Although I have always been interested in the Custer story, any even went out there two times to tour the field of battle, I never looked for any connection. I am very interested and I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do so. Any thing you can tell me will be very greatly appreciated. Also I would like to get your book.Thanks in advance. JW Tipton
    JW, am away from my stuff - will respond tonight or early tomorrow.

Your carbine falls between previously recorded arms 33742 and 33759. At the risk of raising your adrenalin, the latter was turned in ('surveyed' due to damage) at Ft. Keogh in April of 1878, presumably from the 7th Cav.

Dick: That is rather exciting. What can I conclude from this? Or speculate with some assurance? I've got to re-familiarize myself with some of the info I once knew. I've forgotten where Ft. Keogh is and what part it played in this saga. I have the book "Son of the Morning Star," I can use it to bone up on some the history, but can you recommend any other works for info. Also how can I get one of your books? JT

I was almost afraid to say what I did. You can assume NOTHING from what is shown for another - even consecutive - arm. They were not made, packed, shipped, or issued in any sort of order. Crates of 20 often (from surviving records, which were of a later period - but the process did not change) contained arms thousands of numbers apart.

I'll have to do some research as to books - there must be hundreds of them - have you tried Amazon?

Fort Keogh was/is in Miles City, Montana. Google, and Wikipedia, should be your constant companions!

As to mine - $25 to POB 1367 Colusa CA 95932 - let me know how you want it signed. That is for my .58/.50 book from 2006. The sequel, covering all of the rare .45-70s, was just turned in for editing, and is due out in 2015. I do not know cost (will certainly be similar) but I plan to offer signed copies of it as well
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 07-27-2014 at 08:46. Reason: location, location, location . . . . . . .

I have sorta lost all of my references on the Cal .45 Carbines and Rifles after selling my collection nearly 20 years ago. But, three things I learned back then was, verify, verify, verify.

For example, Mr Hosmer's reference to the Ft Keogh carbine. As I remember, Ft Keogh was a Yellowstone District Infantry post. That does not mean that there were no carbines in the armory or that a Cavalry troop was not stationed there in 1878, but it casts a big shadow of doubt on it being a 7th Cavalry carbine. But, never say never and always avoid the word always.

Ray
    Last edited by raymeketa; 07-27-2014 at 11:16.