Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I bought one with an extended mag cheap....because it wouldn't run. I returned it back to stock. Unless someone can steer you to a good vendor my limited experience says stay away from them.

I don't understand all the complicated answers.
    You can buy 20 and 30 round mags.
    You remove trigger group and insert new mag and re-install trigger group.
    Illegal in California. Don't know about elsewhere.

Forgot to say, remove fixed mag, although that's kinda obvious.

I'm with Art on the russian sks, leave it stock. As for the norinco... Have fun with it. My personal experience is the 20 round tapco mags are your best and most affordable bet.
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

5. Default

OK, I have a bullpup stock on my sks that prohibits loading using a clip. So is it just a matter of removing the onboard magazine and inserting a removable or is there something else I need to do. I am aware a lot of people do not like the removable magazines but who makes the most reliable ones these days?

As to why I did this, its my hobby, I enjoy converting and modifying rifles purely to do it. In this case I have to because loading it round by round is a pain, especially when I know there is a way to just change magazines. I do not ask people why they need sports cars or why they put those annoying mufflers on their "race" cars that make them sound like cheap gas powered weed-eaters. Dont ask why I like to modify rifles to make them more than they were. Oh an for the record, I never had the original stock, I traded for it with an aftermarket svd stock on it.

If you have and SVD type stock you should be able to load your carbine using the 10 round "stripper clips" that the rifle was designed to use. Since you want to modify here are a couple of videos. As was said above the basic SKS was never designed to use any kind of detachable magazine and virtually every aftermarket modification I've ever seen had at least some problems. The old boy in the second video talks about how trouble free the old aftermarket SKS specific sheet steel detachable magazines are but his experience is not the one everyone has and even he says that removing the magazine requires manipulation I wouldn't want to fool with.

After you get finished I'd like to know how yours works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1gzY5dSS1I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U57YJYKjaVk
    Last edited by Art; 12-20-2014 at 06:47.

7. Default

Thanks for the info.
    No, the original stock on it when I traded for the rifle was an old ugly and cheap SVD stock. Funny enough, the store I got it from actually takes in a lot of bubba'd guns and returns them to their semi-original states when they have time to do the work. They hadn't gotten around to this one yet. I have a CBRPS bullpup stock I picked up to put on an SKS so I pulled the crappy looking stock off and put the new one on. But the new stock isn't designed for clip use, and I will agree that's a design flaw as I would prefer to use the clips, but I love the look of the rifle, which is half the point of converting guns.

8. Default

What you DO need is a handful of stripper clips. You can charge from a stripper into the stock mag easily as quickly as you can swap out a mag. A bag full of ammo on strippers weighs less and takes up less space than the same amount of ammo in mags.

And then, if you crave the "EVIL Factor", a buncha ammo on strippers laid out on the bench at the range looks intimidating to the more sporty occasional shooters.

The Chinese made and exported to the US substantial quantities of a SKS that took AK magazines, the SKS-D, which worked well:
    http://chinesesks.weebly.com/d.html

There were substantial quantities of 20-round non-detachable magazines made in China and exported to the US. These usually work well when used to replace the standard 10-round magazine.
    https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/c...agazine.89826/

There were a lot of detachable and non-detachable magazines made here in the US, most of which did not work very well.

I have to say I am quite comfortable with an SKS and a pouch of loaded chargers.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

SKS rifles with detachable magazines are banned in New Jersey.