Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default SKS magazine question

Note I am not too familiar with SKSs but have a project build I want to do on one and want a harder hitting rifle than my AR.
    This is probably an easy one but I think the stock SKS has an onboard magazine, right? How hard is it to convert to accept detachable magazines?
    Thanks

Used to see a lot of conversions to accept AK mags but I don't know if it can still be done legally. Maybe others here can advise. There are conversion mags though that look and function like 30rd. AK mags.
    Last edited by mack; 07-25-2014 at 02:06.

Short answer: Yes there are conversion modifications available.

Longer answer: The conversion modification kits exist, and they are legal in most states, but the aftermarket ones can be problematic. The Chinese actually built two SKS based rifles set up for the AK magazine system which I believe were the Type 84 and Type 68 (selective fire) but I don't think either were actually imported into this country.

Some SKS rifles, especially the Russian ones have become quite collectable so I'd be careful about any modification that can't be easily reversed.

I infer you have an SKS you are thinking of converting but AK clones are still available at reasonable prices.
    Last edited by Art; 07-25-2014 at 11:07.

It's easy done. But the results are problematic at best. There are also chicom 20 & 30 round mags that are made for the SKS but the one I have doesn't work worth a hoot. And the 30 rounders stick out the bottom way too far. I put my SKS back the way it was designed cause it works.

One would ask why you need an extended magazine in an SKS unless you are planning on robbing a bank or getting into a fire fight with the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    One would ask why you need an extended magazine in an SKS unless you are planning on robbing a bank or getting into a fire fight with the cops.
    Gee, John, that is right out of the gun-grabbers handbook.................................... "You don't NEED that!"

Ed

Not really, I own an SKS. I just don't see the need for an extended magazine unless one feels it necessary to see how much empty brass I can litter the range with.
    If I want to play "rock and roll" I have my STEN, Bren, Lewis, and Vickers!

John, I know what you are saying, but you should know what I mean. Someone could just as well ask you "why do you NEED automatic machine guns?" That's where I'm coming from. We all know it is a matter of wants not needs. But the standard anti-gunner question is always about NEEDS.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by 4F4Nam View Post
    John, I know what you are saying, but you should know what I mean. Someone could just as well ask you "why do you NEED automatic machine guns?" That's where I'm coming from. We all know it is a matter of wants not needs. But the standard anti-gunner question is always about NEEDS.

Ed
    Exactly! Oh, how I'd love to be able to have the right to examine the life style of those who try to inflict their "needs" standard upon others! Do you "need" that 4,000 sq. ft house ; why can't you survive with 800? Do you "need" that BMW, when a "plain Jane" Chevy will get you everywhere you want to go ? Would there even be an America or an American culture if the possession of personal resources, deemed to be beyond some minimum level, required the permission of some societal oversight committee?! I live a generally minimalist lifestyle, WELL under my "means", because I truly enjoy the simplicity and economic efficiency of not keeping up with the Jones'. Too me it represents freedom! I do sometimes look at the far more lavish lifestyles of others (which is pretty EVERYONE else) and think, "Why do you so burden yourself with such nonsense?". But, then I reconsider and think, "What the heck, if that floats your boat then why should I care?".

Pacific North west & Lake Havasu City, AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    Exactly! Oh, how I'd love to be able to have the right to examine the life style of those who try to inflict their "needs" standard upon others! Do you "need" that 4,000 sq. ft house ; why can't you survive with 800? Do you "need" that BMW, when a "plain Jane" Chevy will get you everywhere you want to go ? Would there even be an America or an American culture if the possession of personal resources, deemed to be beyond some minimum level, required the permission of some societal oversight committee?! I live a generally minimalist lifestyle, WELL under my "means", because I truly enjoy the simplicity and economic efficiency of not keeping up with the Jones'. Too me it represents freedom! I do sometimes look at the far more lavish lifestyles of others (which is pretty EVERYONE else) and think, "Why do you so burden yourself with such nonsense?". But, then I reconsider and think, "What the heck, if that floats your boat then why should I care?".
    Well said!!