Default K98 JP Sauer help

Hey guys,

I don't have any pictures at the moment, I'll have to get them uploaded off my phone and onto here.

I'm by no means an expert on K98s so I figure I'd look for help.

Have a friend who wants to sell me his Pre-War JP Sauer. It's a 1937 and absolutely beautiful. A large majority of the rifle matches but a couple of problems.

The cocking piece on the bolt and the extractor are replacements. The Action screws are also replacements. The barrel is a ERMA 1937 factory replacement barrel. The seller said it's a depot barrel but doesn't have any markings on the stock that indicate it's a "depot gun" but it's a 1937 or 1938 barrel which would be period correct.

The stock (walnut) is untouched (not sanded at all or cleaned with any chemicals) and matches the gun. All other major components match bolt shroud, receiver, floorplate, buttplate, barrel bands, bayonet lug, sights, stock, etc. etc. So pretty much 90% matching.

I'll try and get some pictures posted, it's absolutely gorgeous.

Can anyone offer some advice on what to look for on the barrel or any feedback regarding the barrel replacement?

Pictures to come...

I've wanted a nice pre war JP sauer for quite some time. And a I've seen pre war 100% JPs go for several thousands on gunbroker.

Once I finalize the deal and get it I'll be able to post better pictures and what not.

I do not get into trivia too much but its quite possible the barrel is not a replacement. Like the US these manufacturer's used subcontract parts. Look at the serial number carefully, if its the same font I would say this is the case. Seller was not there when rifle was made, like all of us he gets his info from books and books are sometimes mistaken. Erma did make replacement barrels but they probably sold to manufacturer's also. I have a rifle with Erma barrel and it looks to be original to me. Other small parts probably changed at field maintanence level where they did not do renumbering. You did not mentiona cost but w/o import stamp it could be a bring-back. I own 22 K98's and while most are, not all are 100% matched. Especially bolts!
    Last edited by dave; 07-23-2014 at 05:52.

It is my understanding that a O stamped on the barrel shank just ahead of the receiver ring signifies a replaced barrel.

First I have not heard that, but could be. I would have to see all stampings on barrel before looking it up in a book. I have several books including Ball's, who gives little detail and Law.
    Last edited by dave; 07-24-2014 at 01:36.

once I get the rifle in hand I will post detailed pictures. I just wanted to throw some basic information up first so I know where to look and what to look for.

Every part should be serialed with at least last two numbers on such an early rifle. Exception some too small to number. All inspectors WaA number should correspond to time period that # inspector was stationed in Sauer's area. Butt plate, take down washer, bayo lug, bayo in the white. Stock and handguard serials in barrel channel. Code on barrel will show barrel steel/blank maker and date. There are couple different forms of these. May be a code stamped in wood under butt plate but that usually came later. Stock should be oiled finished if original. Font on all serial numbers should be the same altho there may be difference in size.
    When you get it ask any questions you may have, I will try to answer and qoute my source. Barreled reciever will have to be removed from stock to see every thing.
    Last edited by dave; 07-24-2014 at 02:05.

Erma did supply stuff to Sauer during the war. I wouldn't rule out an original. Is the barrel serial numbered at all?
    You could post your pics on the K98 forum, some guys on there are really sharp.
    Last edited by mike webb; 08-05-2014 at 12:19.

Guess he is not going to answer back, hate that!