Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Today's Neatsfoot Oil isn't the same stuff our grandfathers used. Products labeled "Neatsfoot Compound" shouldn't be used because it contains petroleum products, which is harsh on the leather and over time will deteriorate the stitching. Product's labeled "Pure Neatsfoot Oil" aren't always "pure", but may also contain petroleum products so it's important to read the label and perhaps call the manufacturer. Unless their formulation has changed, Farnham's neatsfoot oil doesn't contain petroleum products. However, my preference is a product called Bick's #7. You'll probably only find it locally through a saddle and tack dealer, but it works wonders. Whichever product you use, do not use it to soak the leather.

I use Bick #4 and find it to do a great job. It was recommened to me by members on the luger gunboards for luger holsters. Good stuff.

I use Fiebing's 100% Neatsfoot oil. I've used it on repro slings, an original M1 scabbard, couple old saddles, a couple old scabbards for lever rifles and some old holsters. They have it at Tractor Supply in the tack section.

Here is a few examples of Dark Brown Fiebings Leather Dye and Blackrock treatment. Been using it for years and love the results on new and old leather. Rick B

Before

After

Original 1800's French holster with just BlackRock

Default Leather sling Treatment

What about Mink oil?? I know that it darkens the leather a little bit but I know it softens the leather and preserves it.
    Kaydee
    kaydees@embarqmail.com