Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Leather Treatment, NOS USGI M1907 Slings

Picked up 2 NOS USGI M1907 slings that were still in their original packaging, one marked MRT 10-86 and the other is unmarked but it's packing slip is dated 7-66. The leather is dyed on one side, but not sealed, and both appear to not have been touched/handled since they were put into clear plastic packaging bags.

How should I treat these slings? I have some clear (kinda milky-white) Danner boot dressing and some Bee Seal Plus boot protector that's yellowish in color, both wax based products I believe, is that the way to go? Also, looking at the picture below you can see one of the slings, the MRT 10-86 marked one, is rougher on its backside then the other, what's the best way to smooth it out like the other sling, can it be smoothed out w/o shredding the leather?

TIA for your advise.

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 07-21-2014 at 10:29.

Go to the local tack shop and get some neats foot oil. It will nourish the leather and make it flexible and supple. Regards, Clark

3. Default

Pecards, a company that sells leather treatment products, may have something that will meet you needs.

Blog Entries

Pecards Antique leather dressing usually gets lots of recommendations when this topic comes up. It is is like vaseline in consistency.

I actually have a can of "Pecards Neats Foot Oil" that my dad bought in the 50's still use it from the same can. Good stuff lasts for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Howard View Post
    Go to the local tack shop and get some neats foot oil. Regards, Clark
    So treat it like a baseball mitt, I have some neats foot oil. Thanks, Clark.

Anyone know if there's a way to knock-down/smooth-up that rough hyde?

Neats foot oil is good but I've read that if you carry that rifle on your shoulder, the oil may leave a mark on your clothing. I've used liquid silicon on my leather slings with success. I also tried Thompson's weather seal on some. Big mistake. Over time, they tended to get moldy.

Some people claim neats food oil is bad for leather over time. I used to use it but switched to Pecards Antique leather dressing. The Neats Foot tends to bleed out and form a white waxey substance on some of my slings. does not seem to be harmfull but don't look good.
    Leather shops and there is a mail order company, sell a tool to "burnish" leather which seems yo have been done to one of yours, the other is really "fuzzy" tho, so some other process may have to done first.

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I once used neetsfoot on new repro slings and they are forever oily/greasy. I've scrubbed them with saddle soap but they are still oily. Now, I only use Pecard's on vintage slings. It "nourishes" the fibers without making them greasy. But it's your call.