Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Greek .303 Brit ammo value

I was recently given a rather large stash of Greek .303 British ball ammo. About 500 rounds, with 300 still sealed in the case. I'm curious as to the value and longevity of the 300 rounds still sealed. I will probably never open it, as I know it's a piece of history that can never be replaced. But then again, I'm nostalgic for relics of the free world...
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

A lot depends on how it was stored before you got it. With good storage in the sealed can.....probably at least 70 years. After that you could have problems ranging from hang-fires and duds to erratic pressures and/or cracked cases. I'll shoot milsurp ammo manufactured in the 50s if it passes the "smell test." Past that, I figure its best just to pull the bullets and use them in reloads. As hard as bullets are to find for some military calibers I think the bullets from really old military ammo are probably worth more than the intact cartridge!!

There are varying opinions on this one though and you'll get other input.
    Last edited by Art; 07-20-2014 at 05:43.

Is it the HXP headstamped stuff?I had a bunch of that hoarded back and it got stolen.It was dated 72,boxer primed,reloadable,not cordite loaded either.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Yessir, hxp 75. Blue marking around the primers.

I've shot powder and bullets from 1943 &1944. All turkish stuff that I pulled down and loaded in my cases. I've been buying factory seconds for .303, 8mm, .223 and .308. My friend buys .45ACP & .44 bullets for .44mag.
    Last edited by joem; 07-20-2014 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    Yessir, hxp 75. Blue marking around the primers.
    That's excellent ammo.Non-corrosive,Boxer primed,reload able cases.It is NOT loaded with cordite,if I remember from one I pulled a bullet on it is a ball type powder.Top dollar surplus .303 ammo and people are asking .60c to .75c a round for that POF corrosive berdan primed junk.
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinIll View Post
    That's excellent ammo.Non-corrosive,Boxer primed,reload able cases.It is NOT loaded with cordite,if I remember from one I pulled a bullet on it is a ball type powder.Top dollar surplus .303 ammo and people are asking .60c to .75c a round for that POF corrosive berdan primed junk.
    Well that's Definately good news! I'm hoping it lasts me quite a while.

If you want to save some, then by all means do it. Personally, if it were mine, I'd shoot it in my best rifle as a treat to myself. The HXP is probably as close as you'll ever get to the now nearly extinct WCC '81 which was surplused off in the 90's. I had a pair of rifles which would print about an inch with that batch.
    I regret having shot it all up now...wishing I had held at least some back. However I had the best time impressing myself and others at how well a few of my rifles could actually shoot using surplus ball ammo.
    If you have a great shooter, treat it once in a while. You'll never be able to retire on saving the ammo, but you can retire with the memories of how great it used to be...instead of cursing the fact it turned bad before you had the chance.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Thanks JB. I'm shooting it in my BSA no.1 mk3, but I plan on keeping some for down the road. It's a treat to shoot, but with every shot I take, I know I can't get it back. I can reload, but it's not the same. I'm proud of my piece of history, and I'll enjoy every minute I get with it. I recently found out about the whole Greek civil war, and how they ended up with all the British weaponry. Truly dark times for them, but glad they had British support.

Cordite hasn't been used since before W.W. I.
    Greek ammo is for shooting. Not much collector interest or value.
    Spelling and grammar count!