Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default pre victory model marking question

Can anyone shed light on the stamp in the first picture. This is a 700,000 serial number S& W 38ctg. Appears to have been arseanl refinished at some point.

More than likely a S&W transferred to a post WWII European police unit.

That's what I wondered with the PO1 mark. Do you know if the 700000 serial numbers were still blued vs parked. I was thinking this was originally blued.

I do know that at the end of the war the British armed the local police in their zone with the S&W pistols in .38 S&W they got from us. These would have been 5" barrels. The police in the US zone were given S&W Victory models in .38 spl with 4: barrels. I am thinking this one is one from the British zone. They were surplused many years ago, taken back to the UK, imported and sold here.

This revolver appears to me to be an example of a direct purchase pre-Victory (aka British Service Revolver), not a Lend Lease gun, which post-war was provided to the Luneberg Police. Luneberg was in the British Zone, southeast of Hamburg. Without a complete serial number I cannot be precise, but a gun in this general range would have shipped from the factory with a blue finish. The stocks would have been checkered walnut service stocks with medallions, not the later smooth walnut stocks.

Regards,
    Charlie
    Last edited by Charlie Flick; 07-17-2014 at 07:32.

I could not find any lend lease marks on it so your probably right Charlie. The Po1 Lun stamp appears to have been done after it was re-parked. So I assume it was re-arsenaled before being sent out for police use. I knew the stocks were later issue. Not at home but I think serial number was 743,000 range. Thanks for the help.

The British Purchasing Commission pistols normally have a British broad-arrow property mark and acceptance marks on the upper rear left side of frame. The strange thing is that many of them lack the British commercial proofs even though they have been returned to the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The British Purchasing Commission pistols normally have a British broad-arrow property mark and acceptance marks on the upper rear left side of frame. The strange thing is that many of them lack the British commercial proofs even though they have been returned to the U.S.
    This gun has no commercial proofs or "ENGLAND" stamped on it. I can just make out the broad arrow you speak of. Any other marks the refinish beat up to bad to see. The gun has some minor holster wear but not much. Does not appear to have gotten a lot of police use.