Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newest Smokepole 1863 Springfield replica

While I do like Mil Surps and have a nice selection, I do have a soft spot for Black Powder and had to add this one to the collection. It is a Navy Arms, 1863 Springfield, .58 Caliber, it looks like it was never fired. I found some Minni balls, just need to get to the range and let her clear her throat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

2. Default

Nice pick up. Let us know how it shoots.

Nice.I have a weakness for CW era weapons.Picked up a London Armory repro Enfield M1853.Like to have a two-band,a little lighter and easier to handle for a beat up old fud.LOL
    A man with a sword may talk of peace.A man with out a sword may talk of peace,but he must talk very fast indeed.

I have a replica CS Richmond by Euroarms that is exactly like the Springfield. Great shooting fun. I found that the mni balls I had were a tad too large for the bore ( excessive force needed to seat bullet) so I ran them thru a .575 sizer die and accuracy improved greatly.

The Navy Arms replicas made in Japan are the most dimensionally correct of all the replicas. Their only fault is the improperly shaped tang. Try RCBS mini-balls and 60 grains of ffg. Clean with Formula 409 spray cleaner and tepid water. Never use hot water!

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    . . . . Never use hot water!
    Why not? --Jim

I've used boiling water in my Euro arms Enfield for 16 years noissues. Same for my armisport Springfields and sharps for last 6-10 years

You will ruin the bore using hot water. The combination of sulfur residue and hot water makes sulfuric acid. It will etch the bore and you will get rusting. Don't believe any of the BS about hot water cleaning. It is promulgated by people who have no experience with shooting or cleaning black powder guns. It is folk lore or old wives tale to use hot water. There is no evidence in training manuals from the civil war instructing soldiers to clean with hot water. If you still doubt my posting, check with your local chemistry teacher and verify the info.

Learn something everyday!

jn

We used to dispose of old cars in the acidic sulfur water that flows from old coal mines around here. It didn't take them too many years to totally disappear.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson