Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Michael Petrov's legacy

Just idly wondering what happened to his collection? Was he working on a catalog of his haute 03 sporters collection?

Not like I would be a buyer, but it was sure fun seeing his posts of cream de la cream high dollar Griffin and Howe, Holland and Holland and other beauties. Just wonder what happened to all of it.

A dealer representing Michael's widow has been selling off parts of his collection. The items are being listed on Gunbroker. So far, I've seen only dregs (parts, receivers, etc.) from Michael's collection, nothing special.

I sure miss Michael. He was a scholar, and a gentleman, and a judge of fine horses!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 07-14-2014 at 08:27.

Me, too, John; I don't know how many times I've seen something I wanted his opinion ...only remember I can't get it anymore. He is missed!!
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

there is a rifle of his for sale on guns international stock # 100459079 . its listed by monte mandarino, who is one of the finest rifle builders in his own right. studied with john bivins. anyway, its a rifle from petrovs collection attributed to fred adolph. a springfield sporting rifle .
    Last edited by Nolagunsmith; 07-29-2014 at 05:48.

Many books and small items are being listed on fleabay by seller "jojodo". "Save" the seller and you will be notified when new items are posted for sale.

Mike

6. Default

Great Northern Guns in Anchorage still has a supply of both of his Springfield Sporter Books. They are remarkable, with great photos of the rifles, builders and shops. I believe his widow gets the proceeds from their sales. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

7. Default

I understand a large portion of his rifle collection will be sold off through a major auction house this fall. I regret I can't remember offhand which one (Rock Island, James Jullia, ??)- perhaps someone here does know?

8. Default

Michael had made a living as a wireline operator in the oilfield. Considering the expensive nature of his hobby, I was always amazed at his ability to acquire what I consider prohibitively expensive rifles. He also possessed some very rare documents. He was world class in his field of expertise, and not many people can make that claim. I will miss him.

jt

Blog Entries

A nice webpage not previously known to me. Perhaps you are all already aware of it?

http://finegunmaking.com/page33/page25/page25.html

I remember a few years ago, when I bought a Griffin & Howe-modified NRA Sporter. Michael not only emailed me several times, but called me 2-3 times to help me go over it. Always appreciated all the help he gave me.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis