Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1891 Argentine Mauser Carbine

I have decided to divest myself of my 1891 Mauser Engineer's Carbine. Trouble is, I have no clue what it is worth. I have had it for a long time, and my cost probably is no indicator anymore. Can anyone give me an idea of its value? It is like new except for three flaws. Some nitwit had added two sling studs which I removed (two little holes), the front sling swivel is missing, and the front sight base has the ears filed down. The crest is intact and all serial numbers match down to the clip. Other than those flaws, it looks like new. The bore looks excellent, but my pic of the bore sucks. No dings or gouges.

Any ideas what I should ask?

jt
    Attached Images Attached Images

leftyo Guest

in the neighborhood around $300. if it didnt have missing and modified parts, and extra holes in the stock, you could probably double that. still having the crest is a bonus though.

3. Default

Thanks, leftyo. I suspected that would be the case, but I needed some good advice. It is a super nice little rifle, and I tried to find the correct parts to no avail. I'll just take the hit on its value. I can actually repair the front base, and probably find the sling loop, but I don't have the time.

Thanks again for responding.

jt

The 'excellent' bore is the big plus. Most of these nifty little rifles have 'poor' bore condition. I would say more like $350.

5. Default

The little rifle looks new almost. There is no noticeable wear.

jt

leftyo Guest

it does look pretty good in the pics, but those three little flaws, kill it.

7. Default

It is an all original Argentine Calvary Carbine, and the loop behind the trigger guard is a scabbard tie down loop, not a sling swivel. I did some research on the little Calvary Carbine (not engineer's carbine). I am a Springfield guy and don't know much about Mausers. Turns out there is no missing sling swivel. It was made in 1895 in the second lot made by Lowe, and has no sling swivels. Later, they made two bands to attach a bayonet, and the rear of the two bands had a front sling swivel, and a plate replaced the tie down loop and a rear sling swivel was placed on the side of the stock. All I need to do to return it to original condition is replace the front sight guard. I found a front sight guard for $25 and ordered it. When I find the two bayonet bands, I will buy them for the heck of it, as well as a bayonet, but not install them. I can repair the two little holes to the point they won't be noticed (my forte).

Anyway, I am going to pull the ad for the little rifle and keep it. From another forum, I discovered the little rifle is quite rare in its present state. Like I said, it looks new as to condition. The bright bore looks as though no one ever fired it. I did buy some ammo for it (looks like a 308 NATO round) and it is very accurate for such an old firearm. I had no trouble keeping the rounds in the black of a pistol target at 100 yds, and had to make no sight adjustments other than a 6 o'clock hold. It does have a nice muzzle blast!

If I am off on any of this someone please correct me.

Thanks, guys.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 07-12-2014 at 06:53.

Marine A5
    You are spot on I have one of these it is one of my favorite Mausers it would take quite a bit to get me to turn loose of it. As you found out they are rare to find in good shape and accurate rifles hang on to it !

It's a lot different than a 7.62X51 round, at least to me it is. I have a converted 91 that shoots well under 1" at 100 yards with my home made stuff. It was my first deer rifle and when bought it was still all military and in almost like new condition. Way back then we didn't think twice of converting a Mauser into hunting rifle and I did much to my later regret. I think it was 26 dollars with a new sling a box of ball ammo and a box of Norma 150 grain SP for hunting. I still see a older man at the gunshows selling them in like new condition both carbines and infantry rifles for the around 300 give or take some. If I had it to do over mine would still be full military. The 7.65X54 is plenty good for most any north American game if you do your part.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

10. Default

One of my favorite hunting rifles is an 18" barreled 91 with push button clip release, aperture sight, and Timney trigger. You can stand erect holding it by its grip and the tip of the barrel is several inches off the ground. Fast on target, easy to handle, nothing hangs on brush, and it weighs less than 6 lbs fully loaded. It is awesome, and cost practically nothing.

jt
    Attached Images Attached Images