Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Info on a Canon A Rubans shotgun ???

I am looking for info on a Canon A Rubans double barrel percussion shotgun. I have found very little info on it oher that it is French or Belgium made, late 1700's to 1800's, and a few other tidbits on other forums but nothing specific. its black powder not percussion
    Any info or websites???
    tks
    ray
    desmaraisr@pbso.org
    Last edited by mainsailantiques; 07-07-2014 at 10:35.

Your time line is a little to early. Percussion would date from the 1830's. Can you post a pic of the proof marks on the bottom of the barrels? We could tell you were they were made.

3. Default

for the life of me i cant figure out how to take the barrel off...maybe a push pin under the foregrip???
    it may actually be a black powder muzzle loader...has a wooden ram rod...
    i will photo it tonight

4. Default

yes it is black powder...

"Canon A Ruban" is a method of barrel making 1st developed in late 1700's France. Basically it involves the forming of ribbons (Rubans) of sheet iron into a tube (chemise), and then moving onto other elements later in the process. The method was believed to make comparatively strong barrels when put up against other methods commonly used. A comparison of the proof marks against the charts of European nations such as France & Belgium may give you a rough idea as to its vintage. As with Damascus barrels, it may be that Canon A Ruban barrels were made into the 20th century. That's where the proof marks come in, especially when "maker marks" are absent.

I get the impression you are new to this type of firearm. Percussion, Flintlock, Wheel lock, Matchlock, etc, are all muzzle loading firearms that use black powder for a propellant.

You are correct that removing the wedge in the for arm will allow you to remove the barrels.

The proof marks are on the under side of the barrels.

Looking forward to the pics

Hope this helps

Doug

He said "not percussion".

8. Default

Yes Doug, you are correct...I don't know a thing about this type of firearm...
    It's a real nice looking and all, with the silver trigger guard, buttplate and some inlay.
    The stock has been carved with a Nordic looking figure...but I am used to more modern firearms...
    Its a wall hanger only...I do know that I would NOT even attempt to fire it, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by mainsailantiques View Post
    Yes Doug, you are correct...I don't know a thing about this type of firearm...
    It's a real nice looking and all, with the silver trigger guard, buttplate and some inlay.
    The stock has been carved with a Nordic looking figure...but I am used to more modern firearms...
    Its a wall hanger only...I do know that I would NOT even attempt to fire it, that's for sure
    The odds would have it that your gun was made in Belgium, but you'll not know for certain until the proof marks are examined. During the 19th and early twentieth century Belgium was the gun making capitol of Europe. Belgium's cheap, but experienced labor force cranked out all manner and quality of guns in bulk. Many of the comparatively inexpensive shotguns in the 1880's Sears catalog where Belgium made knockoffs of expensive, "brand name" European side x sides. Every American small town general store probably had a few for sale to local farmers, that's where the several that have been passed down to me came from. Belgium's gun factories would make whatever the customer elected to order, no matter how plain or elaborate, and they could do it cheap. It should be noted that, as far as barrel proofing of those Belgium made guns went, they were properly proofed and as safe as any similarly proofed barrel. On the other hand other features, such as lock work, could vary in quality. It all depended upon what the customer wanted to pay for.
    On the other hand, if your gun has no makers mark, even a fake Belgium knockoff marking, it may have been made to order in some small gun shop. It's possible that a clear photo may reveal to an experienced eye the work typical of a certain shop or regional guild.

Would you please post some pics. Love to see what this gun is.

Doug