Default I have this old Kar 98a....

I have been looking on the usual "high" gun auction sites and found that Kar 98a's, the WW-1 Imperial German short rifles, are getting mighty scarce. Mine is matching except for the bolt. I would rate it as NRA good - almost to very good, but the bore is fair to poor.

I have chanced on a stripped Kar 98a barrel and receiver, bore looks as new. Price $125. Would it be worth it to put it onto my rifle, and thus convert it to a shooter versus leaving is as an "as-is" collectible? I'm guessing a barrel change would be about $100. Of course, the barrel and receiver serial numbers would not then match, but the barrel one would be covered by wood. Would I add $250 worth of value, or not....?

You have a rifle which very well be a bringback (m/m bolt only) and you will ruin the value by converting. However if all parts are kept as they are (use the barreled reciever to shoot) it can be put back to original. I would not rebarrel! You will subtract value by doing that! I collect "as is" collectbles and with many, many 98's I do not have to shoot everyone. Shoot one, you have shot them all! Be careful of the stock, very slim and not robust!

It depends on you're objectives with your collecting. If the rifle is primarily an investment - don't rebarrel. If your primary objective is to enjoy handling and shooting your collection, then rebarrel, but keep the old barrel in case you or the next owner wants to restore it. Unlike Dave, I fall in the latter "camp" (shooter/collector) and I can swap barrels cheap. Now if it were all matching, then I would be hesitant to shoot it even if it had a pristine bore - but these high end collectibles are not my interest - - yet.

let us know what you decide - would love to see a few pics of the ole girl too!

Interesting idea - I am like that, I often don't see the simple solution. If my bolt headspaces on that receiver I will be in business. Have to give this a good think.