Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Default

Yep they assumed the Tank was dead instead of bypassing it and they died. wasn't burning like a Sherman should.

No doubt the hatred, for the Jerry's or the Jap, at home as overseas, but they were called Germans, Krauts, Bosch, not Nazis. Just as the Japanese were called Japs, not Imperial Rule Assistance Association.

Death Heads unit were the ones at the Death Camp.

Good points though
    Last edited by StockDoc; 11-08-2014 at 07:25.
    liberum aeternum

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
    And you apparently missed the best, most inspirational parts of the movie - the two scenes of serious "Sacrifice to Duty" that were quite real - and happened in many places and all theatres of war - where you do what has to be done, even if your chances of personal survival are slim to none - for the good of the cause.

If you missed getting that out of those two scenes - then I can see why you panned it so hard. Like "Saving Private Ryan" the current moviegoing generation can always use another good, hard look at what sacrifice for a noble cause looks like. Just in case that knowledge is needed again....... CC
    I didn't miss anything. Fury has several fatal flaws. All attempts to inspire were overshadowed by those flaws in my opinion.

I've rooted for Tom Hanks, and Audie Murphy, Gregory Peck, and Gary Cooper and countless other great actors in their war movies. I am well aware of how inspirational moments, noble causes, and scenes of selfless sacrifice can work to make a great movie with the right script and storyline. I am also aware of some unbelievable "against the odds" stories.

But all of that is pointless if your characters for the most part are utterly unlikeable and perhaps even arguably psychotic, and if your script is a holy mess.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 11-08-2014 at 08:57.

Blog Entries

If u out had put me in a tank in 1942, by 1945 I'd be a psychopath.

A friend of mine was in the 36th and during the occupation he had a German girlfriend. During this time the Allen were rounding up Nazis. She told him when things were going well they were ALL Nazis.

I remember going through ' The Epic of the 101st' with one of the vets. In it is a photo of an SSI officer practicing his pistol shooting by using Jew babies as a tossed aerial target. He called them Nazis, said they were bad people but not much on how they handled them.

Not many US forces actually engaged in combat with SS units, so they may have a different opinion of how to deal with the SS.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 11-09-2014 at 12:10.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I saw "Fury" in a theatre this weekend with my wife and our son. One of the first things you see after you buy your ticket in an AMC theatre is the "30.06" your concealed weapon is not welcome here sign. Makes me want to go to the movies......not.

I'd give the first part of the movie, before the road crossing battle a B+. The road battle a C. Total grade = C to C+.

I thought the production values were first rate. The acting overall was very good and I thought there was more character development than in most modern war movies. I actually, for the most part didn't find the characters to be unlikeable except that they were suffering from having been in combat for a very extended period of time, in Brad Pitt's character's case two years. From the people who were actually there who have talked to me any resemblance anybody had to a boy scout usually wore off very, very quickly.

The people who I knew who were actually in combat in Europe in WWII's account of action was very compatible with the first part of the movie. In fact one of my uncles who was a half track gunner in the third army told several stories very similar to those in the movie and recounted similar experiences, so I suspect that the producers and writers had access to accounts similar to his. He did say that the last really heavy fighting he engaged in was at the Rhine. While there was still hard fighting in pockets mostly by SS troops or kids who didn't know any better the Nazi army was withdrawing so quickly it wasn't even picking up its minefield markers. He did say his vehicle was destroyed by a Nazi fighter inside Germany so he wasn't saying it was all a piece of cake.

One of his and others I've talked to's pet peeves was movies in which a handful of Americans wipe out massive numbers of Germans of Japanese, As he said, had that been the case the war would have been over in a month. Makes for a better action movie though. The most unbelievable thing was the Sherman getting hit in the crew compartment by a Panzerfaust and only one crewman dying. The more real result was the fate lead tank in the column in the ambush.

One other aside, and this only relates to the Third Army. From what I was told looting was prohibited except for liquor which was permitted. Being drunk on duty, however was absolutely not permitted. Rape was severely punished but any woman who wanted to "barter" for food, cigarettes, soap, ect., well that was a different story as long as combat effectiveness wasn't affected, and that included coming down with a "social disease."

The most impressive combat sequences to me were the fight for the town and the engagement with the Tiger, very well done I thought.

It is "just a movie," but was pretty well done and it made me quite happy that I was not there!
    Last edited by Art; 11-23-2014 at 07:58.

5. Default

Nice reveiw art. I saw fury twice. Liked it both times. Second time was better than the first, i noticed alot of things i didn't notice the first time.the scene at the crossroads was a stretch.i think brad pitt got hit three times by the sniper and was still alive. To me it was just good entertainment.will watch it on cd when it becomes available.

6. Default Fury - well done and worth seeing

I saw it twice, and thought it was very well done. For context, I am a USAF Viet Nam era vet, not army, so I have no experience with tanks. I did read Belton Cooper's memoir "Death Traps," about the Shermans.

In reference to the clerk-typist cliche, that rang true. My late father-in-law, an insurance agent, was drafted in WWII at age 34. His discharge paper listed him as a clerk-typist. He served in the 45th division, 157th regiment. When he was in a nursing home, I sent to the Army for his decorations. They arrived after he died and included a bronze star and a combat infantryman's badge. That must have been some typewriter. During some battles, everyone got swept up and carried a rifle.

He rarely spoke of the war but once did mention his hatred of the Waffen SS. He also mentioned living in a foxhole during the winter, being mortared and shelled by 88's. So the fatigue and hatred of the Nazi's shown by the troops in Fury also rang true. First concentration camps were overrun n November 1944, so troops were aware of the horrors and the role of the SS.

The level of detail was exceptional. Red tracers for the US and green tracers for the Germans. Pitt's character carried a beat-up S&W 1917 .45. The grips had been replaced with plexiglas and had a photo of a pinup or girlfriend under them. That was common. US Army Air Corps mechanics would take broken aircraft windshields (there were plenty), manufacture custom grips from them, and sell or trade them to the GI's. I saw some made for captured Lugers.

I just finished reading Pulitzer Prize winner Rick Atkinson's The Guns at Last Light, third in his WWII trilogy. If you have not read it and are a WWII buff, I highly recommend the trilogy.

When the young recruit retires to the room with Emma he gives her a palm reading. He tells her that the line on her hand indicates that she will have only one love. I was wondering about that prediction when he was giving it to her,but then it all unfolded as foretold. Just after that she is killed by artillery fire.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Guamsst View Post
    Was that in North Africa? The exact scenario was portrayed on "Greatest Tank Battles" I think that was the show at least....
    Sorry Guam missed this question. No it was in Italy if memory serves. I could be wrong he passed when I was 10 and he only started talking about the war the last year of his life to me at least. Talking to dad he confirmed the only Tiger he saw prior to wars end was an early Tiger 1 in Africa. in that case it was abandoned and had been heavily strafed and bombed from the air. He had a healthy respect for Panthers and faced those often later in the war.