Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Fury - another WWII movie

I just saw this trailer. It looks like it has potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNHuK1rteF4

Blog Entries

can't wait!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Id definitely like to see it as they borrowed the last tiger able to move under its own power from bovington museum. Itll be worth it just for that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptEnglehorn View Post
    Id definitely like to see it as they borrowed the last tiger able to move under its own power from bovington museum. Itll be worth it just for that
    I may have to go to Baton Rouge and take my distant cousin, a Korean War tanker to this one. He was in the 45th Infantry and yes, they had tanks.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I look forward to it. I'd say another Viet Nam war movie is due.

Can't wait to see this movie ! I think it is a remake of "The Tanks are Coming" made in 1951-- true story of the leading and first tank crew to cross into Germany and the SGT. that was their driving force! Incredible but true story!! Hollywood has nothing on the real crew!! What they did could not even be screen written today!! Read about this tanker-- Lafayette G. Pool (1919-1991), Here is a link to the movie;

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...re-Coming.html -------

read about these guys; truth is stranger than fiction; I had a relative that was a tank commander in the 3rd Armored and had 4 tanks shot out from under him and he was the only survivor twice!!
    Last edited by oldtirediron; 09-22-2014 at 11:08.

I'm looking forward to it. My grandpa Traul joined after Pearl Harbor at 28. His nickname from both his crews was gramps. He trained in Lees and fought Sherman's his last being the 76mm high velocity easy eight.

He started in Africa and ended the war in Italy. Like the hero old tired iron talks about he lost his first crew and had to abandoned several other tanks. From memory they had to run from one in Africa when the front idler was shot off loosing the track with it. In Sicily they had to check out a new tank when the 75mm main gun was shot off two feet from the turret by something mean. In Italy he lost his first crew when they ran over a land mine. They were not in contact and he was sitting up in the commanders hatch. He was blown free of the tank but the other four heros were killed. With his second crew they got a tread shot off and had to run for it. The last tank he had to turn in was hit in the gun mantel by want he thinks was a smaller anti tank round. The mantel stop any penetration but jammed the turrent in the ring. We lost him in 1978. I wished he would have lived longer and I would have gotten more time with him, but such is the way of life.
    Last edited by p246; 09-11-2014 at 05:51.

Just saw it today. Not a bad movie. Very graphic violence.

9. Default

Saw it last night, overall a good effort. It was lacking in character development and you never really get a clear window into who the crew members are as individuals, and at a run time of nearly two and a half hours there was no excuse not to provide it. On the positive side, I believe it gives a pretty accurate and grim picture of the realities of WWII armored warfare. I especially enjoyed the scene in which four Sherman's engage a lone Tiger. I'm sure there will be historical inaccuracies on the technical front and I'm not well versed enough in armored warfare to find them, so I'll leave that to the history nazis. Recommended.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PKelly View Post
    Saw it last night, overall a good effort. It was lacking in character development and you never really get a clear window into who the crew members are as individuals, and at a run time of nearly two and a half hours there was no excuse not to provide it. On the positive side, I believe it gives a pretty accurate and grim picture of the realities of WWII armored warfare. I especially enjoyed the scene in which four Sherman's engage a lone Tiger. I'm sure there will be historical inaccuracies on the technical front and I'm not well versed enough in armored warfare to find them, so I'll leave that to the history nazis. Recommended.
    They used screw top fuel cans! Oh the horror!

I really enjoyed the movie, it is a day in the life of a tank crew, not a biography of their lives, so I'm good with no background and would probably gone to get popcorn if there had been flashbacks with momma and the girlfriend. The point of view is mainly from the young newbie that has 8 weeks in service and then is thrust into the thick of things. All he knows is what he sees and is told, there is no time for back story.

The dogface with the M1 and the cape around his helmet was badass.

It was a real treat to see the only operational Tiger on the big screen!

If I were the director, I would have ended not with the damaged 'Fury', but with a tank retriever hauling it off to be patched up, hosed off, and fitted with a new crew as what was actually done, showing that the war goes on.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)