Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

"He said he took the eyepiece off each morning to pour the water out"
    yuk
    I will always wonder if the scope i have was actually on a '41 it has a serial number of a rifle that is listed on Brophy as a national match?
    curious

06/29/14
    actually got to the range that has 300 yard capability. Prior to this i had to have the forward mount worked on, it had become damaged and took some effort to make workable. But like a damn idiot i felt that the zeros were not that affected and started at 200 yards, dumb idea, no impacts, burnt up a lot of ammo before i went back to basics. set up a 25 yard target and let one go, man was the windage off, like 8 inches to the right, corrected that and then brought the
    elevation to about 1 inch above dead center.
    went to fifty, and adj elevation with couple of shots also had to tweak windage
    then to 100, first shot at 100 was a 4 Oclock 8, adjusted to dead center
    then to 200, at this time it decided to become windy. and with all the curiosity lookie loos and the guys with the wives and the AR's going bang bang bang as fast as they could from a bench at 20 feet. well lets say it was becoming a long day.
    got to 300 yards and the first shot with fairly good cross breeze right to left , shot at a null and it was as pretty an X as one could imagine. that was 178grain hpbt and I had some 168A Max hornady that i wanted to put down range., after a wait to go cold and cleaning target i put three in magazine and shot them, not in rapid fire but with the same hold on shoulder, good aim and eyeball on crosshairs and let em rip
    this was shooting with the same elevation and windage as the 178's, if i posted the photo, you would all agree that it looks like the hornady is hitting 1/2 minute low, a moderate elevation change is needed to use the 168's and this is the 300 yard results
    I would say wind was zero to 15 up and down still right to left, here is results, after that i packed her up and went home
    range is open in morning and probably a heck of lot less 'people' there. can do some serious tweaking
    Last edited by pelago; 06-29-2014 at 05:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I'm in the same shooting boat...I drive about an hour to get to my brother's farm for shooting. So, when we go, we make a day of it. And nothing ruins a day like having to go downrange constantly to check targets. I use the Birchwood Casey "Shoot-n-See" targets that highlight the bullet holes. Easily viewed from over 100 yds away using my cheap 60x spotting scope. My buddy and I take turns calling each other's shots. It helps. Targets usually come with pasties for covering holes so you can keep using same target. There are a bunch of different target makers providing targets that highlight in orange, yellow brite green, etc. I find they help my eyes alot. HTH - Liam

very very nice, aint these old guns fun!