Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Time to see if it works, copy cat usmc 1941

Been kinda off my feed for a while, but since i entered the sniper match guess i need to see how it shoots past 100 yards
    going to do that wed. interesting thing about the rifle is the scope is a family deal had it for a jillion years, was grand fathers, original 8 power lyman target spot, now the curious thing about it is , it has a National Match serial number engraved on the tube? what is the significance of this
    I have absolutely no idea, but it is a real nm, so is this one, and it has a 1929 NM trigger and sear. Now, No it does say stamped on its side NM trigger, or NM sear, but i trust the source that i obtained it. He said it was and let me tell ya, it is like a hot knife thru butter
    going to try some diff loads other than the standby Hornady A Max.
    gonna be fun, seem to have a inflamed left shoulder, rotator cuff deal and I still hold a Russian 7.62X54 imbedded in the bone, cool Xray Doc said, is that what i think it is, I said yeah been there for close to fifty years, He said probably best to leave it be then,, I know how much it hurt going in can imagine how much it would hurt going out

oh yeah, that is a CMP stock and i did add a creighton barrel
    wish me luck

GL, Nice looking, But can it Shoot? Let's see the results! I bet all is good!

4. Default

I'm jealous of your trigger, right now, that's the weak point in mine. I had a junior at Camp Perry a couple years ago that had a Mark I 1903 with a trigger that failed weight, way too light. He was so disappointed, you should have seen his face. The CMP armorer took the rifle and two coffee cans back into their trailer. One can was full of triggers, the other full of sears. He went through a bunch of combinations and came up with a legal trigger pull weight, smooth take up, and a sharp break. I would love to have those coffee cans to go through! What bullets are you going to try? I thought mine was good with 168gr. but I found some old 180MKs of my Dad's and they were better. I would like to try some 155s, too. Your rifle is gorgeous and you can't beat the story with your scope. Very cool, I hope you tear it up at the match, good luck!

got rained out, did not want to take a scope that is older than i am out in rain, probably would not have hurt it a bit but it is what ii is 70+ yrs old

I have found the Hornady A Max a very successful bullet, have won many many senior (old guy classification class) competitions with the 1903 and the M1 using that bullet shot low 290's using my 03A3 (it does have the USMC front sight on it) and same with M1 (1943 vintage) the bullet is a known good. will play with some hand loads but due to time constraints probably will use the 168A max

Run a regular 168 on top of 56g of IMR4350. Guaranteed to shoot.

yeah, the 168 is a popular round and pretty accurate, i have done very well in various (games type) competitions with it
    wish i had access to a 300 yard range that is not fifty miles away, i an see the splat if i use one of those targets that enhance the hit
    like to spend some time with the various 168's, few years ago i bought 5000 nosler 168 HPBT's from nosler direct, they were supposedly cosmetic rejects. I guess when the computer scans em if the color is not precise to the standard thenthey get kicked out. I could not find anything wrong with them, and i got em dirt cheap, memory serves me it was about 150.00. I know my M1A likes em, shot a clean at the 300 with em. that aint bad for a one eyed hunchback

I'm in the same shooting boat...I drive about an hour to get to my brother's farm for shooting. So, when we go, we make a day of it. And nothing ruins a day like having to go downrange constantly to check targets. I use the Birchwood Casey "Shoot-n-See" targets that highlight the bullet holes. Easily viewed from over 100 yds away using my cheap 60x spotting scope. My buddy and I take turns calling each other's shots. It helps. Targets usually come with pasties for covering holes so you can keep using same target. There are a bunch of different target makers providing targets that highlight in orange, yellow brite green, etc. I find they help my eyes alot. HTH - Liam
    Last edited by Liam; 06-27-2014 at 09:04.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

thats the name of the them, forgot it, that is what i use, and i boght a new scope (well actually a used one a Kona, got a good deal on it and i can see the hits at 300, and you are right gettting difficult to find a place to shoot over 100 yards

10. Default

I've used the Nosler's, they worked as well as Sierra 168MKs for me. I keep forgetting about those A-maxes, need to give them a try. Back in the 90's I bought a bunch of Hornady 168s, virtual clones of Sierra MKs and they shot great. They were significantly less expensive as well. I bought one of those Bullseye camera systems at the shot show, it uses Wifi to transmit pictures to my phone (both Apple or Android apps are available). It was a complete impulse buy but it's helped out a bunch and I don't have to find someone to pull targets for me. On the other hand, I don't want to think about how many Shoot 'n See targets I could have bought instead.....

I wouldn't have shot with that scope in the rain either! It looks like it's in great shape for 70 and they're not waterproof. Somewhere I read about a Marine in New Guinea using a Unertl. He said he took the eyepiece off each morning to pour the water out.
    Last edited by Jim in Salt Lake; 06-27-2014 at 09:51. Reason: had another thought