Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Need Help with Type 38 Head Spacing

I have a type 38 and the primers are backing out of the brass. The ammunition is factory loads. I suspect the head spacing is an issue. I had information how to make a home made head space gauge but cannot find it. From what I remember is a spend brass shell, strip the bolt and insert a piece of aluminum foil or brass on the face of the bolt. What I need is the thickness of the foil or brass to measure a no go gauge.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

One question. Is the bolt matching, either by assembly number, or last three of the serial number depending on vintage?

Japanese rifles, Type 38 and Type99, are known to have "generous" chambers.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

I would think that if the head spacing is too much to allow the primer to move, then the entire cartridge would move and you would experience hot gasses blowing past the case.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

You just made me think of this PS, the T-38 and T99 have gas vents on top of the receiver and the safety knob is cupped to catch gas coming past the bolt in the rear. So you might not get the same blowback as with another design.
    Dean (the other one)

The bolt is NOT matching to the receiver. I have not noticed any blow back. Fired about 6 rounds and all but 1 of the primers backed out.

I agree Dean, and I did take that into consideration... but wouldn't you still notice the gas escaping from the vent hole? Either way, primers backing out is never a good thing, especially if the ammo is factory. If the bolt is not matching, then it could explain excessive headspace.

Do this... Disassemble the bolt and install it with the firing pin removed. Then, chamber a new round. Is the bold handle excessively loose when closed (can you rattle it around)?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by 1mark View Post
    The bolt is NOT matching to the receiver. I have not noticed any blow back. Fired about 6 rounds and all but 1 of the primers backed out.
    I'm still curious. Is the bolt matched by assembly number, instead of last three of the serial number? That could be, depending on vintage of your rifle, a kangi mark+three digits. It will be on the bottom of the receiver, bolt root, front band, and other places. (The assembly number is not the same as the serial number.)
    Dean (the other one)

What I have done is using a bolt for another type 38 and a spent round. I removed the primer and attached 2 pieces of .0015 shim stock to the back of the round. The suspect bolt will close on the round with no resistance. Now using the other bolt it will not close on the round. I than removed one piece of .0015 shim stock. The bolt almost closed. So the suspect bolt is not good.
    Now I need a type 38 bolt BUT it needs to be modified (bent handle) for use with a scope on the rifle. Anyone have one?????

I'm almost afraid to ask, What scope? Is this an add-on or are we talking a legitimate Type 97 sniper rifle?

Email Don Schlickman and ask him about your needs. dfsjpn@aol.com
    Dean (the other one)

No it is not a type 97. It is a 38 that was sporterized nicely and a scope added.