Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Here is the Odd Coincidence. Paledin601 was Banned from CMP for constantly putting doubt in everything I said. He was banned about 5 weeks ago and had an issues with my name of Stock Doc also. Sure seems suspicious all around. You are a furniture refinisher not a Gun Stock worker and are against working on stocks so why the name???

If you do a search of my name and Stock Doc it comes up more than anyone out there and best part is I had the name given to me on the forums long before the other had theirs from all we seen. Yes I did not invent the name. Yes anyone can use it if I didn't copyright it as Stock Brokers use the name also. But it is all to odd the coincidences of your behavior and name when not tied to Stock work in anyway. Just saying.

My methods have worked for many years and glues and products change. The Military has repaired stocks longer than I have thought of it and made changes in their Finishes, stains and glues so no one is perfect. Springfield Armory puts Bees Wax on all their stocks and they are a museum. No one put that on during military times. I find it to be an issue for sure and can go over the many including not able to be removed if needed or that it locks anything in and the stocks will crack overtime as they cannot breath. So your demand for it one way isn't panning out well for collectors and shooters. I have worked on some rare stuff and I mean eve a 1st made rifle that a collector blew apart by accident. Saving some of these is more important to many. Just saying. Rick B

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Dick and original Poster, this guy follows me around trying to bash what ever I say just so you understand. He even took my Moniker of Stock Doc when he is new here. Should be enough for suspicion. Was named Stock Doc 20 years ago for all the super repairs I did to save thousands of stocks. I had a contract way back to repair many stocks found in that Barn I cleaned out and have all happy customers from saving their wood. Shame someone will come in and try to stop good honest help in order to knock a good guy down.

Happy to see you are saving the stock as you want to with your own property. . Rick B
    Rick, I don't need (or want) to "understand" the politics of who likes you and who doesn't, as far as I am concerned, your work speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Rick, I don't need (or want) to "understand" the politics of who likes you and who doesn't, as far as I am concerned, your work speaks for itself.
    Thank you Sir and I have always taken the utmost care in preserving Gun Stocks while trying to keep the Been there Done that look. I have fought with owners when they wanted the stock to look new or sand marks I know were from teh factory removed. Each stock presents its own life, challenge and history to which I admire and live for. Rick B

4. Default

Now you are just rambling Rick, trying to associate me with someone that you have a disagreement. Never said I don't work on stocks, I just don't change Historical stocks, I will oil them and put a Finn wax on them, that is it. I have contracted to several museums to clean their firearms and arrest the decay of the wood.

BTW, the Military never stained their everyday stocks, just ceremonial rifles. When oiled, black walnut has a nice color by itself. even later when a little sap wood became present in the Blanks, the Armories still did not stain their stocks.

Never been on the CMP site as a member, as a guest yes. Still don't know who you are, don't care who or what you do. All I know from your posts are that you are not open to suggestions. Have a nice life.

5. Default

Well I got it patched up. The forend still looks really bad but I only wanted to patch the missing pieces and not remove more wood than what had already been lost. All in all I'm happy with what I got. The rifle was in really bad shape and being parted out when I bought it. Mostly missing lock parts. Both sides of the tang area were broke out. Left side of tang , just a 1/4"x2" chip. Left of tang chipped out to center of lock. Chip in front of lock. All those repairs were done with Gorilla glue. Forend repairs done with epoxy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Default

a real nice job, glad you left the "burnt" area on, adds to the stocks character.

7. Default

more
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    You will devalue that rifle by trying to repair it. Just stop the deterioration of the stock. Oil it carefully. If you want to shoot it, if it is shootable, that is. Put a new stock on it. The Burned area should stay on the stock, that is part of its history.
    Look at the forend! It is literally falling apart! If a repair isn't done there wont be anything to hold the barrel band on, This rifle was in such bad shape it had almost zero value! Just "parts" Unlike allot of these rifles, this one has never been shortened. Old stuff that is in reasonable shape and never been touched has great value. Ones that have been maintained are of lesser value. Usually a lot less. This one was junk! Now it's not.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by StockDoc View Post
    a real nice job, glad you left the "burnt" area on, adds to the stocks character.
    Thanks

I only wanted to do enough to make the wood complete. The metal was so badly rusted and pitted I wanted to clean it off. I removed all of the rust and coloring from the rust. I also left all the pits. Metal should start to look better in a couple years or so.

10. Default

I have seen some that were found in the desert after 100 yrs and the stock is cracked and weathered and still have considerable value. Some collectors and decorators like that look. I know of one guy who sold a rifle to a decorator for a Restaurant that got more then he paid for the rifle. And it was worse then yours. One of the reasons I dislike repairing the old guns. But the gun is yours, do what you like.

Here is a tip of rust stains. Use "Hydrogen Peroxide wood bleach" apply with a Hobby Brush and the bleach does not have to be neutralized. But go very slow, it works fast.
    Last edited by StockDoc; 06-29-2014 at 10:29.