Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ww321q View Post
    . . . . It wont be a very good looking stock but it is original ! . . . .
    How 'n 'ell can it be "original" AFTER the work you did to it!!

No matter what, it has WAY more originality than ANY replacement.

New wood is the absolute last resort in my book, and, to go a step further, a new cartouche on new wood, besides engaging in serious self-delusion, should probably be prosecutable as a criminal act.

Stocks have been repaired since they were 1st made. Saving a piece of history if not for a museum is best. It is no different than oiling the stock just like they did all those years. Maintaining the stock is key to making it last.

I do it daily and have saved many masterpieces and rare stuff that few have ever been lucky enough to touch. Museums continue to this day to clean art work that is in bad shape in order to keep its value up and keep it for many to see for years to come. Rick B

4. Default

The correct glue to use, if one wanted to maintain a period correct repair would have been a "hyde glue. The only thing Gorilla Glue is good for is patio furniture. Besides no museum would even attempt to repair a stock such as that. They would just try and stop the decay.

New wood would only be used for shooting the firearm, which would be foolish with the mentioned stock.

You are right, even repairing and trying to sell as an original, or close to original should be a criminal act. Original stocks should be left alone with their dents and cracks

Dick and original Poster, this guy follows me around trying to bash what ever I say just so you understand. He even took my Moniker of Stock Doc when he is new here. Should be enough for suspicion. Was named Stock Doc 20 years ago for all the super repairs I did to save thousands of stocks. I had a contract way back to repair many stocks found in that Barn I cleaned out and have all happy customers from saving their wood. Shame someone will come in and try to stop good honest help in order to knock a good guy down.

Happy to see you are saving the stock as you want to with your own property. . Rick B

6. Default

Sorry Rick, you have me confused with some one else, why would I follow some one that gives marginal advice.

Oh well, keep thinking that way. By the way if you Google Stockdoc you will find about 20 others that use the name. Besides if it was your name why was it available when I signed up 4 weeks ago.

You apparently have a mental problem that you should have looked into. You even accused Paladin on the first post I answered of following you.

Sheesh, some people.

stock doc - it seems that you just want to be an irritant poster.

8. Default

RCS seems the other way around to me, But if you want to think that it okay, free country.

How did you ever come up with that conclusion from this post?

"You will devalue that rifle by trying to repair it. Just stop the deterioration of the stock. Oil it carefully. If you want to shoot it, if it is shootable, that is. Put a new stock on it. The Burned area should stay on the stock, that is part of its history. "

Wow talk about trying to read between the lines
    Last edited by StockDoc; 06-28-2014 at 07:22.

As I stated and it seems you have a problem reading - you are just a irritant poster attempting to force your ideas on the other posters. Let it alone ! things will work out without your advice

10. Default

Not trying to force anything on anyone, like some posers. Just trying to share 40 yrs or wood working, and info that I learned from Americas foremost wood worker. you have a great evening RCS or is it Rick B