Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Competition Shooting coats

Anyone with an answer or suggestion. Where online does someone trying to get started in match shooting find the accounterments? Coat, mit, cart, etc?
    Thank you in advance..............
    bombdog, out!!!!!!!!
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

There are several but I prefer:
    Creedmoor Sports.

1÷ creedmore fast shipping good service and selection.

4. Default

Caution:

Don't buy anything until you've been to at least one match or more.

Shoot with what you've got or can kludge together to get by until you know you need something better. Then see what others have. Ask if they like it, why, and where they got it. Ask to look at it, hold it, and if possible, take it for a test drive.

Also, avoid any half-stepping "not what I really want" purchases. All those do is leave you stuck with a not-quite-right piece of gear and an empty wallet. Make do and save up until you can afford what you really want.

It's really easy to pi$$ away a lot of money on gimmicks, gadgets, and seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time (ie, bad) choices.

When it really is time to buy the three usual suspects are Creedmoor Sports, Champion's Choice, and Champion's Shooter Supply. There are other specialty vendors for items like scope stands and coats. Many of those are one person operations working out of their garage; which is why you need to ask folks where they got their stuff.

Lastly, don't be a "Gear Queer." Competition is all about putting your shots in the middle. Sometimes a piece of equipment can help you do that but not as often as many seem to think.

Maury

Good advise Maury.

If you're a novice, like me, and don't happen to have an informed sage like Maury next door you may find some guidance via printed material. I bought "Service Rifle Slings" by Glen Zediker and it helped me make sense of those pesky long and short straps of a service rifle sling. Some addt'l info on and sources for coats, gloves, etc. are also to be had. He has a bigger, more focused on competitive shooter, book called "Slings and Things," but I don't yet have the need for that level of information as I shoot at a farm with only the cows shaking their heads in disgust nearby.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Wow, gents i appreciate all the advice. i guess what i really need to get is 'Started'. i've been to the appleseed shoot down in ramsuer nc, so i have the basic knowledge and skill. i was an army DM while in the infantry in iraq. 22 year veteran and i also doo the farm range shooting with the cows (lol). The only place i know has CMP shoots is Camp Butner and those are only like 2 times a year, if i understand correctly. As far as being a gear queer, man i know what that is, i only had my acog and my pc15 on my M4 till we weren't allowed night ops any longer then i took the pc15 off.
    i really have the desire, but don't quite know where the road is, this make since?
    Tango mike for the advice.......
    bombdog, out!!!!!!!!!!
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

8. Default

If you're looking for a place to shoot in NC I think the Lake Norman High Power Club has an active program. Contact them at PO Box 2225 Davidson, NC 28036.

The CMP Competition Tracker lists 10 CMP matches for NC https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...onListUpcoming

For NRA Matches go to http://competitions.nra.org/ click on Shooting Sports USA Magazine. When you get to the mag go to the back section on NRA sanctioned matches and click on the link to a complete list.

There may be other un-sanctioned matches as well. You find out about those by word-of-mouth at the sanctioned matches.

Maury

9. Default

Those matches in Maury's list are mostly Vintage Rifle or Garand matches. Those are good ones to start with as all shooting is done at one distance and you start out shooting prone, then sitting, then finish with offhand. If you're shooting an AR or something else that isn't covered by the match program, you should ask the match director if you can shoot for practice. I like these matches for our juniors and we'll have a junior class for them. It's a great way to get started and you'll make connections to other shooters and get the advice you want. Another good resource are these DVDs the CMP sold, called Mind over Matter, a set of 3 DVDs. They were made by the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) and are a little old but the info is all still valid. They have great videos on using the sling, prone, sitting, setting your mechanical zero, etc. I hope they still sell them.
    Last edited by Jim in Salt Lake; 06-24-2014 at 02:04.

Thanks again guys, i'll take those ideas into consideration. All i own are .30's, no mouse guns here, i had enough of those for 22 years since 1980 and my M16a1. i feel the AR platform is really a lot easier a weapon to shoot than the old school wood and steel. i've been floating around this site for a couple years now, since my return from Afghanastan and i know the AR's dominate the high power comps. i'm looking to do the vintage and Garand matches which are harder to get info on for me. i'll see if i can look up these shoots and have fun.
    bombdog, out!!!!!!!!!!!