Thread: SS Rework?

Default SS Rework?

SS rework or what?
    I recently purchased a RC 98k that has some interesting markings on it.
    I'm curious to know whether the markings on the barrel/receiver are consistent with a reworked rifle for the SS by Steyr.
    I have Mr Laws book as a reference I'm still curious to see any opinions out there.

I attached (hopefully) several pictures but in case they aren't clear:

Left side-front to back:
    Barrel: FP and then serial number.......... Receiver: Serial repeated for import and then "Karab98b" in script.

On top, over buffed out markings is: bnz and 4

Right side going forward:

WaA (cant read number) Weimar proofs "6" "43" "43" and then a block "5" or "S".

Thoughts?
    Is it a RC that is a rework for the SS?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that is a strange one. It originally had a 29" barrel and was a rather rare Kar. 98b that was converted to Kar.98 spec's. Many Gew.98's were so converted during the 1930's. These were considered second line equipment and issued to early Waffen SS units along with original G.98's with 29" barrels. However the conversions left the original markings on the reciever which are dated in the teens (WW1). So yours was scrubbed and restamped. I have never seen or heard of a K.98 conversion from a K.98b or one that was restamped. Law has a chapter on the K.98b, there was some varity in markings on these but they were made in the 20's.
    So it could have an SS connection but I see no stamps which would confirm it (stamps on right reciever ring are not clear but some appear to be Wiemer inspection). However SS stuff is faked all the time so you have to be an expert. I am not so stay away from it.
    Last edited by dave; 06-20-2014 at 06:11.

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes- the stamps on the right receiver ring are: WaA (cant read number), Weimar 6, Weimar 43, Weimar 43 and then a block "S."

If you mean Laws "Backbone of the Wehrmacht"- I read that and without pictures and understanding what you'd said- I was curious.

I bought the rifle as a shooter, paying a shooter-grade price and not at the inflated "this is a SS generals personal rifle" ( ) price. So I'm not in it a lot if it has been monkey'd with. The bore is mirror and so should shoot well.

I will pull the receiver/barrel out of the stock and see if there any more markings that help..................
    Last edited by BigMo; 06-20-2014 at 10:59.

I guess law does not have a whole chapter, just pp.18-20 and a ful, picture on pp.2. The stock is laminate so it was made much later (1938-45). Must be an RC tho I see no X stamp. Stock will have a serial in barrel channel if outside one is not clear.

Thumbs up

You have an interesting rifle. I wouldn't mind having it in my bnz collection. It is an RC so the only thing that is original to the Steyr rework is the bbl/rec.
    Not an SS rework. Steyr, probably more than other factories, did a lot of late war salvage work/rework on K98ks.
    Sarge
    Calling illegal aliens undocumented immigrants is like calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists!
    LIFE MEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281.AHC Assoc & CAF

It was sold to me as, and I always looked at it as, a RC, but the receiver markings did intrigue me.

Thank you for your time!

Unless the barrel (when I remove the action from the stock) shows something interesting- I'll just go with a RC that once was a Steyr rework.............

I did remove the action and found the following markings on the barrel:

D V (BNZ shield) and the WaA623

I looked at the WaA on the receiver and it does look like a 623 as well.

So just a Steyr rework........... still interesting to me and the bore is great!