Thread: Kerr Sling ??

Default Kerr Sling ??

I have had this sling for quite a while and have it on a M 1917. From reading an article in a back issue of the GCA Journal ( Summer 1990 - The Mysterious Enfield Sling by John H. Spangler), the sling seems to be the first type or pre 1917 sling. Article states that this model will have the metal fittings marked "NOBUCKL and PATD 7-21-14" as this sling is marked. Can someone confirm that this is a 1st type pre 1917 sling manufactured by the "Kerr Adjustable Strap Company, Inc. ??

Last edited by 2111; 06-15-2014 at 12:20.

The M1917 Kerr sling has a free-floating rectangular ring on the long strap. The pre-1917 Kerr sling does not.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

The first two pictures I posted show the metal at each end of the long strap. Neither appears to be a "free-floating rectangular ring", so do you believe this is the pre-17 Kerr sling ?? Thanks

I see no free-floating rectangular ring in your pictures. The free-floating ring looks just like the rings that appear in your bottom picture, except it has nothing hooked to it. You, therefore, must have a pre-1917 sling.

J.B.

Or...a '17 strap missing the loose loop. The '17 strap is longer and will not tighten up on an '03 .
    Chris

Look at bottom of these instructions on how to fit a M1917 Kerr sling to a M1903. I tried it and it does work.
    http://www.armscollectors.com/17sling/

D.
    Last edited by Dad; 06-16-2014 at 12:44.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    I see no free-floating rectangular ring in your pictures. The free-floating ring looks just like the rings that appear in your bottom picture, except it has nothing hooked to it. You, therefore, must have a pre-1917 sling.

J.B.
    Thanks John, that pretty much confirms what I read in the GCA article.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Look at bottom of these instructions on how to fit a M1917 Kerr sling to a M1903. I tried it and it does work.
    http://www.armscollectors.com/17sling/

D.
    I was meaning if the '17 strap had no loose loop . It can not tighten up if threaded normally as it's too long.
    Chris

Southeast Louisiana, three blocks from the Mighty Mississippi.

Thanks 2111 for the photos and The Professor for the information. Bought a low numbered blued Remington M1917 years ago at a show. Maybe a year later checked a parts guy out at the same show. Asked if he had any M1903 parts. Said no but had an original Kerr sling for forty bucks. Gave him the money quick. It is the real deal for the M1917, sixteen inch short strap and think fifty two inch long strap and no loose ring. So it must be an early one. Bout the same condition as 2111's, guess unissued, or very clean. Colors match.

Got two bayonet sets for this rifle. Remington made for the Brits and British marks struck, and green leather scabbard. The other is a Winchester bayonet with the first pattern scabbard. Not collectin' now, but would be tempted with an original M1903 Kerr sling.

Daughter helped me figure out how to mount a Kerr sling, never forget that. Congrats 2111.

Lancebear