Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

1940 dated sling

So it looks like an unmolested No 3 P 14 to me with a 1940 Brit sling. I'll be interested to see what you guys think and what its worth. The rifling is very good and I suspect the gun was not shot much.

Nice, and an early Eddystone 'fat boy' stock to boot. From what I can see in the pics all the markings are standard .303B so I have my doubts about it being a British military trainer conversion. Definitely not any type of Bubba work! Perhaps a training rifle for one of the UK supplied countries, or a first class gunsmithing job for someone who wanted one.

My civilain British rimfire conversions have either Greener, AG Parker, or Parker-Hale markings added. Are there any markings you might have missed?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Not that I can find and I've been over it with a fine tooth comb. I found one website that said the civilian conversions done in the 20.s all had micromiter rear sights added, and the presence of the standard sight was an indication of a military build during WW1. It also said the civilian versions usually had the volley sights deleted. Does this pan out with your civilian version.

The P14 volley sights were also deleted as part of the Weedon Repair Standard among other things. So missing those is no real clue.
    Micrometer rear sights and/or tunnel front sights were a pricey option even back in the day. Not every conversion had them although tang sights were often used. Original military sights were not uncommon either on the cut down Long Lee range rifles.
    Many of the 20's rimfire club rifles were done on Martini actions.

Do you happen to have a link to wherever you read that? That sounds like way too much of a blanket statement to make.

Im sure I can find that page when I get home. Im working an off duty job now for more gun money.��. In that post he had pics of a post war target version. Ill have to re read it maybe the context was about his gun and I took it as a blanket statement....ill find it and add the link.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Enfield_Rifle_No.3.html
    JB here is one link with pics and some info. I'm still looking for the other one.

Inside the above link is a bunch of other links to follow. I'm trying to find another one. In it the author said if the end of the barrel was engraved then it was postwar. If not it was wartime. It is that link that also talks about wartime sights versus post war target sights. If I can find it I'll link it.

I copied this from that site regarding the P'14 rimfire conversions. It's from the chronology list of .22 trainers.

Rifle, No.3, (P'14) in .22-inch R.F.................A small number of these rifles were converted to .22RF by WW. Greener and possibly A.G. Parker. They were never adopted.
    The other info in the columns are marked as n/a or unavailable.

If yours is one of those it's a desireable specimen. I wouldn't know how to set a price, but I would negotiate one to get it!