Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

RetroBlackRifle has oodles of good information but its forums haven't seemed to catch on like the Retro forum in ARFCOM. Plenty good information stickied there too and much more active.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_3/123_.html

S.B., there are some mostly complete A1 parts kits floating around various places. A new lower receiver and a new barrel and you're in business. Bounce over to ARFCOM for lots of inspiration. Lots of them there are all ate up with NODAK Spud lower receivers for authenticity, but if you don't mind an A2 lower receiver will work just as well and so will a fast twist lightweight barrel from somebody like DEZ arms. You can get that done for half to 3/4 the cost of a decent SP1, especially if you can do most or all of the work yourself.
    Last edited by Andouille; 06-13-2014 at 07:13.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

I understand the need to "GI proof" a rifle, but I think that a weapon firing a 5.56 cartridge needs no more weight than about 6 pounds max. without loaded magazine. It is ridiculous to heft an AR that weighs close to 10 pounds.

Here is something you might like. It is reported to be under 4 pounds.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-pounds-ar-15/

Now that's what I'm talkin bout!

Shooter5 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    become disappointed with all the changes to the AR-15 platform? Stoner designed it light and easy to carry and now it's far from that. In the beginning it was the perfect survival weapon(in my opinion). Now with it's extra weight, longer, even changes to the operating system(gas to piston), sights are different from original, it's getting too gadgetry, not to mention bipods. Didn't it start out at about five and one half pounds, what is it now?, I've seen over eight pounds listed, and with a match barrel most prefer, ten even twelve plus pounds? In the recent middle east conflicts they use more optics and folding stocks, has anyone ever tried going prone with one of these, in a hurry?
    Maybe I'm the lone ranger but, I'd go back to the SP1 if I could find an affordable one.
    OK let the rants begin.
    Steve
    Am not sure which particular model you are looking at in terms of weight or other characteristics. Anyway, the AR/M16/M4/whatever you want to call it is completely modular and you can literally put together a rifle of hundreds of thousands of combinations. That is 100,000s.
    You want one with carbon fiber, titanium, 7 inch barrel to 24 inch, nearly any caliber you can dream of, etc etc etc. It is like a LEGO toy, mix and match. You can find what you want. Their are many different uppers from crossbows to 50 cal BMG. You want Plain Jane? You got that too.
    Someone and anyone can put whatever they want or don't want on it.
    It has evolved and proven itself to be a global standard in combat. Its not perfection but it works with proper training and maintenance.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 11-27-2014 at 01:02.

6. Default

I agree with Shooter5. With the AR platform, what ever suits you, you can put together. I have a DPMS flattop, 4X16 scope, with a 20" bull barrel that will shoot with my Remington VLS. And that is very good indeed. Heavy, yes. But out to 325 yards, with V-Max bullets, I could not ask for better. For general carry, I have a light carbine flattop, scope, collapsible stock. Shoots good. Just not as good as the heavy barrel DPMS. Still, you are more likely to have it with you, and it is a very handy little rifle. Each is very good for it's purpose.

I have owned, shot, and messed with quite a few AR-15/M-16 rifles. My first rifle was built by John Ross in 1986. It was built on a NFA registered H&R, M16-A1 receiver "rewatted" by J. Stoemple. I no longer felt comfortable shooting such a valuable piece, so I gave the rifle to my son. He kept it in a safe for a few years, and then sold the piece for $22,000.

Today, I own 3, AR-15 lowers and enough different uppers to make 6 different rifles. That is why I really liked the M-16 because it was a system. That is still unique with the 1,000's of aftermarket items that have evolved from the original Stoner design.
    Last edited by RED; 10-19-2018 at 06:45.

ditto red.......... & parts are available anywhere we might go......... generally pretty cheap too.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

9. Default

I have to agree with the OP - the 5.56MM is the right size and power for a Carbine - not a Battle Rifle! My favorite AR thus far is a pre-Ban Colt "Government Carbine" AR15A2 - with a 16" pencil barrel! Five and a half pounds, quick and light! I believe Colt now has a pencil barrelled modern version in a Flattop Carbine, and that would be just as good! CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Best value for your $$$ in the gun world today = Colt Model 6920. You can find the basic M4gery iteration for $900 or less. Next panic they'll triple.