Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Am I the only one, or has anyone else

become disappointed with all the changes to the AR-15 platform? Stoner designed it light and easy to carry and now it's far from that. In the beginning it was the perfect survival weapon(in my opinion). Now with it's extra weight, longer, even changes to the operating system(gas to piston), sights are different from original, it's getting too gadgetry, not to mention bipods. Didn't it start out at about five and one half pounds, what is it now?, I've seen over eight pounds listed, and with a match barrel most prefer, ten even twelve plus pounds? In the recent middle east conflicts they use more optics and folding stocks, has anyone ever tried going prone with one of these, in a hurry?
    Maybe I'm the lone ranger but, I'd go back to the SP1 if I could find an affordable one.
    OK let the rants begin.
    Steve
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Wont own one of the new fangled AR's until they can figure out how to hook up a coffee pot on the picaninny rails. They have everything else but no coffee. Weighs as much as the M1A
    Democrat: A person too stupid to know they're a communist.

If you heard my shot, I wasn't aiming at you.

3. Default

My go to is a looks like SP1 carbine 16" iron sights. I took my 13 yr. son and some friends rabbit hunting with AR's a while back and I shot twice as many as any of them because I could get on target quicker. Also better on running target at close range. I never use over a 4X scope on an AR other than a very heavy 20" flat top with a 10X scope for varmints out to 300 yrds. it is more of a paper puncher the Carbine kills more than any of them.

Ya mean those first aluminum/Tupperware rifles? 8-)
    Due to ammo shortages, no warning shot will be fired

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by broom jockey View Post
    Ya mean those first aluminum/Tupperware rifles? 8-)
    Yes. Guess I'm just old, and old fashion. I've even seen fiber framed(PLASTIC) ARs.
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 06-12-2014 at 06:21.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson

Nice part about them is you can buy or build whatever you want except for a coffee pot.

My grandaughter wants my retro SP1 AR15. Maybe after I'm no more she can have it.

My granddaughter also wanted my SP 1. She enjoyed it so much that I bought a S&W MP Sporter right at the beginning of the last panic for a very good price. I figured she could shoot this as much as she wanted and would keep the round count down on my SP1. She has taken to it and has already put about 600 rounds through it in the short time she has been able to shoot it. She is an excellent shot but now she wants a scope on it as she has seen so many others like that.

I, too, loved my Colt SP-1 that i bought in the mid 70's for $250. Wish I still had it. I now have a DPMS M4 which is nice, but, heavy.

As a builder and collector of the "old" AR-15s since 1985, I found my "home" with RetroBlackRifle.com. All my builds are based on the 600 and 700 series rifles/carbines with one exception... an M4gery with a flat-top replicating the 977/979.