Aligater Guest

Default How Would You Fix......

How would you fix a stripped screw slot on leupold ring? I don't think the screw is stripped. I think it is the threads in the hole....I hate to have to buy another set of rings. These are new. Thanks for your help.......Bruce

Drill, tap & die set, one size larger screw. It would probably be more cost effective and a lot less aggravating to buy a new ring.

3. Default

I would call Leupold and tell them you might get a new set free

Aligater Guest

Well now I've learned a lesson. I called Leupold and found out that the ring bases are made of Aluminum. They strip very easily if you are not used to the little torx wrench and I wasn't. Most of my experience was with old Weaver or Sako rings. You never had to worry about stripping. You could tighten all you wanted. You just had to be careful not to bugger the screw heads.

5. Default Helicoil

In aluminum the fix is easy. Some folks will use helicoils in their design from the onset to allow for repeated dis-assembly and re-assembly. You can buy a few helicoils and the required drill and tap from McMaster-Carr. You can Google it and learn all you need in 15 minutes.

A torque screwdriver might also be a good investment. You would not need one of the expensive adjustable models - just one thats preset for the size screws used on scope rings.

7. Default

Bruce, Loctite sells a kit to "refurbish" stripped female threads. It works quite well as long as there is still some threads left. http://www.grainger.com/product/LOCT...pair-Kit-1YDZ5 Good luck! Rick