Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bought my L42A1, L39A1 and L59A1 while they were still on the boat!

What are these l39 rifles? Custom 7.62s?
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

The L39 is the military (Army and Air Force) target rifles, they are manufactured as 7.62 on No4 actions.

The military's sniper rifle was the No4T (in 303) and served until the early 70's. This was re-issued after being modified by ROF Enfield with the addition of a 7.62 barrel and magazine, and the No32 Scope re-calibrated into metres.
    This new rifle was designated the L42 and served well in the Falklands war and for some time afterwards.

The L59 is a 'deactivated' training rifle - basically a No4 with the action cut-thru (not completely) to make it inoperable.

So that being said... Are l39s available in the US? Apparently the uk varies signicantly on rifle supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    So that being said... Are l39s available in the US? Apparently the uk varies signicantly on rifle supply.
    Most of our Enfields ended up in the USA, yes the L39s are available in the US, but for some unexplainable reason they are considerably more expensive than in the UK
    (UK price $900-$1500)

This one is about $1200
    http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/li...prod_1059.html

Quote Originally Posted by Alan De Enfield View Post
    .....but for some unexplainable reason they are considerably more expensive than in the UK
    Most likely because they are in private collections and nobody is willing to cut one loose. When one surfaces there will be cut-throat competition if the word reaches the right ears.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Default Difference between UK and US prices

In the UK the L39 are about £600-£1000, whilst the L42 is around £7500+
    But then I'm not in the UK and that low a price for an L39 doesn't apply over here in the USA where they are decidedly more rare, in fact largely unknown. Your price for an L42 is pretty much spot on if you are talking about a pristine example with case and all accessories.
    Keith

Strictly they are not conversions. They were built that way from the start

Quote Originally Posted by keith.herrington View Post
    But then I'm not in the UK and that low a price for an L39 doesn't apply over here in the USA where they are decidedly more rare, in fact largely unknown. Your price for an L42 is pretty much spot on if you are talking about a pristine example with case and all accessories.
    Keith
    I simply pointed out the price differential on the L39 because virtually every other rifle / model tends to be around 50% more expensive in the UK (depending on the $ to £ exchange rate - late 2008 the $ was 1.36 to the £, in 2007 it was very weak at over $2 to the $ and this month has been around the $1.70 to the £)

I simply pointed out the price differential on the L39 because virtually every other rifle / model tends to be around 50% more expensive in the UK (depending on the $ to £ exchange rate - late 2008 the $ was 1.36 to the £, in 2007 it was very weak at over $2 to the $ and this month has been around the $1.70 to the £)
    Yeah, our money is going to hell...