Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Enfield .308 conversion?

So I know that ishapore manufactured 2a's that shoot .308, but has anyone converted there .303's to 308's? I say this because I want a .308 enfield, but I want as many British parts as possible. Is this possible and has anyone done this?
    "I only get paid if I survive... And I like getting paid."

The Brits converted fairly large numbers of No4 rifles to 7.62mm NATO as emergency war reserve. 7.62mm No 4T sniper of one flavor or another served as front lined British sniper rifles until the mid - late 1980s. These 7.62mm rifles of any variety are rare birds over here. The conversion requires among other things, a new barrel, front sight, trigger guard, bolt head, extractor and magazine (I know I left stuff out but others will correct me.) I also understand that these rifles can have problems with ejection if you don't have the correct magazine. This conversion is not a job for the untrained even if you can get the parts.
    Last edited by Art; 06-08-2014 at 05:42.

Ishapore (nor anyone else as far as I am aware) made Enfields in "Win 308".

A number of Countries / factories and private gunsmiths have manufactured or modified Enfields to 7.62 NATO - In Britain alone the MOD used L42 and L39 rifles in 7.62, The police used the Enforcer in 7.62. I Canada there was a big programme of 7.62 modifications, and of course Ishapore,

There are probably 100,000's of 7.62 Enfields.

Do not be fooled that 308 & 7.62 are the same. They are not. The cartridge looks pretty much the same but the case thicknesses are diferent and the rifle chambers are not the same. For example there is a 13 thou (0.013") difference in headspace, and you cannot just use 308 headpaces to gauge your 7.62.

Thanks for the advice, gents. I currently want a 7.62 enfield that is true British steel, but an l42 is out of my price range. How hard are parts to find? I will have a gunsmith assemble said parts to a no.4 when I find one. How hard is it to find 7.62 NATO no. 4 that was already converted?
    Last edited by Johan412th; 06-09-2014 at 05:42.

"...In Canada there was a big programme of 7.62 modifications..." Only by The DCRA(shooting only, not like the NRA) on No. 4's and single shot target rifles only. Never done by the CF.
    Ishapores were never conversions either. Made from scratch in the mid 60s.
    There used to be .308 barrels for No. 4's floating around 35 years ago. No mags though. Did a few in the shop I worked in then. Only because we had the proper action wrench and the barrel vise I made. Do not hire a smithy who doesn't have the proper action wrench. He'll twist the receiver.
    Anyway, you'll need a barrel and mag if you want it to be more than a single shot. No idea where you find a barrel. Ishapore mags will not fit a No. 4, but can be made to by grinding off the bottom locking lug. Still be the wrong follower though.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    ........... How hard is it to find 7.62 NATO no. 4 that was already converted?
    I've had a No4 in 7.62 NATO Complete, action, barrel, magazine (not Enfield mag) and sportered wood for sale for several years at my local gun-shop. Priced at GBP £100 (about US$160) There are so many about no one wants them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan De Enfield View Post
    I've had a No4 in 7.62 NATO Complete, action, barrel, magazine (not Enfield mag) and sportered wood for sale for several years at my local gun-shop. Priced at GBP £100 (about US$160) There are so many about no one wants them.
    And this is in the uk? Incredible. I haven't seen any lately in the US. Still looking though. It pains me every shot I take with my .303 Greek ammo.

Years ago I bought a one off 7.62 conversion by Cogswell & Harrison, imported and sold by Brian Dick. It used some modified standard parts like the mag, charger guide and extractor. I have owned it for 12 years and aside from launching bullets sidewise, as I reported here, it is fine. A proper recrown fixed that. Brian has an import license and he may be able to get one for you if the UK is so full of them. I did contact C&H to see if they had records on this rifle but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Years ago I bought a one off 7.62 conversion by Cogswell & Harrison, imported and sold by Brian Dick. It used some modified standard parts like the mag, charger guide and extractor. I have owned it for 12 years and aside from launching bullets sidewise, as I reported here, it is fine. A proper recrown fixed that. Brian has an import license and he may be able to get one for you if the UK is so full of them. I did contact C&H to see if they had records on this rifle but no luck.
    Who is this Brian dick?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johan412th View Post
    Who is this Brian dick?
    He owns www.bdlltd.com

He is a good guy to deal with.